Unattended Woma egg laying

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dg

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in the UK and keep and breed a few Australian species. I have a pair of Womas which have been mating throughout the cooler winter months. The female does now look gravid, but there is a chance I may not be around when she lays (a pre-arranged overseas trip). It may be that she lays before or after I'm away, but I'd appreciate advice regarding substrate, moisture content etc, and any other relevant guidance should I think she may lay when I'm away.

I haven't bred the Womas before, but have read a lot about the difficulties of incubating the eggs, particularly regarding how moist they can get. Just not sure how damp to make the nest box. Thanking you all in advance...

You can estimate the time of laying with the timing of the pre lay shed. If you're at home when she sheds, you know that there is at least 25 days until she lays (if gravid) If she has not shed by the time you leave, there is at least a month before laying if she hasn't showed signs of shedding..

Back