Update on my Manning River Turtle juveniles.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamishh34

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Some updates on my purvisi hatchlings. I picked up 4 juvies off @Flaviemys purvisi in January this year and they have been doing fantastic. Was a little sad to see the pattern less plastrons leave me so soon but loving watching these guys grow and develop their plastron markings.

I am not sure where the whole licensing situation in QLD with this species will end up, but I am sure as hell glad I got my hands on them. Kevin and Marc have done an incredible amount of work with this species to get them into private keepers hands. Thanks again Kev for your assistance and generosity before, during and after with these bad boys. It is truly appreciated.

These photos are from when I first got them home. I will add further comments down showing the gradual update over the last 8 months. Not sure how it will look just mashing all photos together
[automerge]1628233882[/automerge]
[automerge]1628234098[/automerge]
Some updates on my purvisi hatchlings. I picked up 4 juvies off @Flaviemys purvisi in January this year and they have been doing fantastic. Was a little sad to see the pattern less plastrons leave me so soon but loving watching these guys grow and develop their plastron markings.

I am not sure where the whole licensing situation in QLD with this species will end up, but I am sure as hell glad I got my hands on them. Kevin and Marc have done an incredible amount of work with this species to get them into private keepers hands. Thanks again Kev for your assistance and generosity before, during and after with these bad boys. It is truly appreciated.

These photos are from when I first got them home. I will add further comments down showing the gradual update over the last 8 months. Not sure how it will look just mashing all photos together
Man this merging thing is being a pain so I will try replying to myself.

These photos were taken mid at the end of July.

Attachments

• IMG_8876.JPG
    IMG_8876.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8878.JPG
    IMG_8878.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8880.JPG
    IMG_8880.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8883.JPG
    IMG_8883.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0215.JPG
    IMG_0215.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0216.JPG
    IMG_0216.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0217.JPG
    IMG_0217.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0218.JPG
    IMG_0218.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0219.JPG
    IMG_0219.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Coolest turtles

Irwini is something i would love to keep
My macleay’s are awesome though
If you are interested I can help point you in the direction of them. Macleays are cool. Although I am enjoying the idea of avoiding Emydura conspecific aggression with the purvisi. Do you have much issue with yours?

If you are interested I can help point you in the direction of them. Macleays are cool. Although I am enjoying the idea of avoiding Emydura conspecific aggression with the purvisi. Do you have much issue with yours?
I haven’t had much of an issue but they are like picky kids.
They’re not picky eaters, they’ll take Vallisneria no problem but, they require only the best water quality.
I do water changes almost weekly and have two heavy duty filters on them.
My females should be old enough to breed this year, so may have babies.
Also i keep them in a slightly brackish water and recommended it for the species

Looking good man, gonna be nice animals as maturing adults!
[automerge]1628572058[/automerge]
Also i keep them in a slightly brackish water and recommended it for the species
Hey mate, the recommended level of salinity for Macleays is between 4.00 - 5.00 ppt (parts per thousand) ergo, you want to be using between 4 - 5 grams of salt per every litre of water in your aquarium/pond. Any more than this is detrimental to their health.

Ideal salinity for all freshwater turtles kept in captivity.
FB_IMG_1628571946168.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good man, gonna be nice animals as maturing adults!
[automerge]1628572058[/automerge]

Hey mate, the recommended level of salinity for Macleays is between 4.00 - 5.00 ppt (parts per thousand) ergo, you want to be using between 4 - 5 grams of salt per every litre of water in your aquarium/pond. Any more than this is detrimental to their health.

Ideal salinity for all freshwater turtles kept in captivity.
View attachment 331551
I use about 4 grams of salt a litre.

Latest posts

Back