URGENT: Ackie Advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpNthusiast

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My 4 month old ackie is acting odd. Yesterday i noticed he took some time in his hide rather than come out and about this was at 4:30 and he hasn't done this before he is currently going through a shed but we do have a heat pad under his hide (just to boost his ambient temp. at night) which may screw up his body clock, we have a glass enclosure. Also he isn't opening one of his eyes he does open the eye but not frequently.

Help Please.

Last edited:
The fact that he is choosing to hide away rather than roam around could be put down to the fact he is shedding, so I wouldn't worry about this so much since it's common behavior for many reptiles. As for the eye, do you notice any swelling or discharge? how long has he had is shut for?

I'm worried, he opens it freqeuntly but closes it for periods of time

The ambient temp throughout is 25-30 and his basking spot is 40's-50's

He is very active and runs around when he wants to.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok i reorganised the branch so he can get a more desirable temperature its approx. 55 celsius and he's sitting there currently.

Good job getting the hotspot up, I'm betting you'll see an improvement. Going to be hard to maintain that in a glass enclosure though..

Yeh it's a pain but it was the only enclosure we had around so we set it up we're going to be getting some polystyrene to insulate it soon for winter

We keep our ackies in glass tanks. Our red one does have a foam background inside the tank to help keep the heat in, plus heat tape across most of the mesh top. Both tanks have rocks and tile stacks under the heat. Our three yellow ackies have good hot spots, as they only spend enough time there to heat up, and then they are off again.
They are sitting at the glass looking at me now. Must be hungry. :)

We keep our ackies in glass tanks. Our red one does have a foam background inside the tank to help keep the heat in, plus heat tape across most of the mesh top. Both tanks have rocks and tile stacks under the heat. Our three yellow ackies have good hot spots, as they only spend enough time there to heat up, and then they are off again.
They are sitting at the glass looking at me now. Must be hungry. :)

Haha same here whenever he's hungry he darts up and down the enclosure trying to get my attention, he's pretty tame to will jump onto and sit in your hand but god he's quick we have 2 rocks and a tile stack under our globe

What wattage globe do you have? As PythonLegs said above, a hotter basking spot is better.

What wattage globe do you have? As PythonLegs said above, a hotter basking spot is better.

100w, or 75 watt intense

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone have any tips on helping him shed i've given him a water bowl and i spray him every now and then

- - - Updated - - -

i've given him a little bath just wallowing in some lukewarm water to help

That's all you can do to help him shed. The basking spot should be in the mid 50's or higher even. The amount of time your ackie spends on the basking spot is an indication whether it is hot enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back