Varanus pilbarensis

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 23122

Reaction score
I saw one of these critters a long time ago in a cave in the Pilbara and have been fascinated by them since. A few years ago when I had a pair of glauerti I used to dream of owning a pair. After alot of searching and phone calls I was informed they were around in very small numbers and basically impossible to get. It seems the tides have changed as twice in the past few months I have seen these incredible monitors up for sale as hatchlings and adults around se qld and they look awesome. Unfortunately for me the passion and time dedicated to keeping these unique and rare monitors has waned over the years as has the compulsiveness to fork out the many thousands required for such a purchase. No real intent to this thread just throwing some thoughts out there cheers.

Last edited:
It is the rarity that pushes the price up. Last year I was lucky enough to get hold of one of my "dream" monitors, a tristis orientalis.

Don't lose your passion mate! I guess it'll be the same as the glauerti, as more passionate keepers start buying them, the price will wane. You are lucky to see one in the wild!

I hope they never make it into the hobby...
They will just be another WA monitor that'll be abused...

They will be on WAs list before the end of the year. The department has signed it off and sitting with the minister. Some are going well atm with them in QLD and although there is some in NSW the department wont issue any new import permits for them for at least some time. Glauerti are still reasonably rare considering how long they have been in captivity and breeding is still considered rare and not consistent among those with pairs. From what ive seen hatchlings have maintained their price since day dot, over 12yrs now. If you have an interest in pilbarensis and can legally keep them do yourself a favor and get them despite the cost they are well worth it for those who have more than just a passing interest in monitors.

I hope they never make it into the hobby...
They will just be another WA monitor that'll be abused...

I think you are on the money there.

There is already enough choice for those who want native reptiles with the animals already held in captive breeding programs using reptile who haven't been taken from the wild.

If you want to admire these, visit the region they are found in , contribute to the development of eco-tourism there , and create some jobs , take you camera and shoot away to your heart's content and take loads of photos. It isn't necessary to take them from the wild or keep them in enclosure.

Also , all that will happen if people can keep them is a few "professional" breeders will produce a very small number of specimens to sell to the hobbysists (most of whom will never be able to afford them or to breed them themselves, and so a "elite" breeders will make a load of money from the species).

All the WA animals get ridiculously poached to keep up with the demand from the eastern states...
A few of the 'licenced collectors' only care about money and rape and pillage populations and destroy habitat in the process...
The reptile captivity hobby has become a bit of a joke lately

All the WA animals get ridiculously poached to keep up with the demand from the eastern states...
A few of the 'licenced collectors' only care about money and rape and pillage populations and destroy habitat in the process...
The reptile captivity hobby has become a bit of a joke lately
Got you now, thanks.
Have to agree with you there, although it probably happens Australia wide.

Got you now, thanks.
Have to agree with you there, although it probably happens Australia wide.

It does, but the WA animals go for high prices and can be 'legally' collected by people with permits.. So you can see where greed comes into it

Yeah, I agree Nick. Nowadays alot reptile keeping is for the money, not the passion. A healthy balance of both is fine, and honestly it's alright to have more species in captivity to those willing to meet their needs but at the end of the day the driving factor is money :/ What a shame

Plenty of stories of people duct taping small monitors to their legs in order to get through airport security..

It may be a joke to an 18 year old kid, but that is about as far as it goes.

Reality is they will be popular one day because of their small size and colour.

"The reptile captivity hobby has become a bit of a joke lately"

This is what you stated Richoman, so it may be a joke to you perhaps because you don't put in time and effort to understand its coming leaps and bounds.

Just as a side note the "reptile captivity hobby" is called herpetoculture.

"The reptile captivity hobby has become a bit of a joke lately"

This is what you stated Richoman, so it may be a joke to you perhaps because you don't put in time and effort to understand its coming leaps and bounds.

Just as a side note the "reptile captivity hobby" is called herpetoculture.

Are you in any of the Facebook groups?
The amount of **** flinging, general unprofessionalism from "professionals" and petty squabbles started over something as insignificant as the price of a snake hook is stupidly ridiculous. It is a joke. " leaps and bounds"? It's going in the wrong direction...

My dream monitors are V.kingorum, v.brevicauda and v.prasnius haha how do you think I feel living in VIC lol don't let go of your dreams man.

My dream monitors are V.kingorum, v.brevicauda and v.prasnius haha how do you think I feel living in VIC lol don't let go of your dreams man.

At least you get hold onto the fact that all of them are present in captivity and in private Australian hands legally. Maybe on the next 10yr review there is a greater push to free up the restricted lists or you might get lucky and govt cut backs mean that it isn't efficient or worthwhile them maintaining the restrictions so they do it voluntarily.

The way some are going on we already have all everyone should ever what and there is no need expand or accommodate other interests further. Maybe we should just restrict all the species list back to only the established python species, the majority of license holders would still be happy as that what the majority keep and as it doesn't affect them are likely to support it.

Wait up. Are we talking about pilbarensis, or hamersleyensis as well?

Those in captivity in the eastern states are likely to be both, V. pilbarensis and V. hamersleyensis. If either of these species get added to the Western Australian keepers list then no doubt new wild caught animals will be collected, which should result to less ambiguous individuals being available. However, like all the other collecting this has the potential to be exploited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back