Variation within the Australian Scrub Python species

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick_75

Reaction score
Hi All,

A question for Scrub Python keepers and people with experience with wild specimens.

Is there any variation in animal size and colour/patterning through the population?

Are there any recognised or commonly referred to localities?

Cheers,
Nick

Not that I've heard of. In my experience, in literally hundreds of wild scrubbies, the only variation is the strength of yellow.

Not much variation, none that I'm aware of between localities (they don't have a large distribution in Australia anyway). There's some variation in pattern and colour between individuals, but it's not dramatic. The most extreme variation I've seen is striped, but I've never seen a fully, perfectly striped Australian one, and they all have at least some amount of lateral striping.

Thanks for the responses. I was of the thinking that variation would be limited due to the small distribution. But wondered if variation had been observed, like in another example of a species with a limited distribution, the Jungle. Which does display variation.

Latest posts

Back