Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan123

Reaction score
hey guys ive latly been deep in thought of buying a venom ive gotten permision frm parents and the licence
ive talked to people who have seen how i handle nasty snakes such as my waterpython and an old coastal who will bite given half a chance and ive had heaps of suggestions so i want to know what people think of the following and also if they have a caresheet or better yet have owned one. any info wld b great.
this is what snakes im thinking of and why

brown tree(nightiger form)(boiga irregularis)- rear fanged. weaker venom off all my choices. bittey so will be good practice
Lowland copperhead(astrelaps superbus)- been told are puppy dogs. one of my fav looking. no heat needed :)
collets snake(pseudechis colleti)- once again puppy dogs. friend has one and its very good handeler. all hospitals carry the antivenom
Red bellied black snake (pseudechis porphyracus)- my favourite looking snake of all time. very docile. good starter elapid

I'd agree with the boiga, and the rbbs, but just be careful with the haemotoxic RBBS venom. Not all BTS are bitey, and besides, they'd have to chew on you for a while to actually envonomate you anyway.

RBBS venom haemotoxic? I thought all the Aussie snakes were primarily neuro.

:p

Hix

Much of a muchness really isn't it?? :lol: I know of people who talk fondly of inland taipans being placid and certainly free-handlable....but then that's where you don't want to come unstuck...with that little word called complacency hehehe

I love all the species you've mentioned, with particular interest in the red belly. Good luck!...and more importantly...POST PICS PLZ!!! ;) :D

Hix, as far as my knowledge runs (admittedly i dont have all that much experience about venoms, but i read a lot), The RBBS is one of the few haemotoxic venoms of aussie snakes. Most are neurotoxic or neuromuscular blockers. (done venom researhc, but more ont he conotoxins from the cone shells. Nasty thingys they are, but so beautiful and shiny)

yeh thats why its a consideration i love the RBBS but yeh ive herd stories about fingers rotting and some bad things happening so im jus curious if its better to start off with something like the brown tree or a very docile elapid so i can get some experiance

dude, in all honesty, i know about the venoms themselves, not the species which sport them. I have heard that the BTS is a good starter ven, but thats only heresay.

If i were you, i would maybe not go with a placid and easy to handle venomous. THIS IS MY UNEDUCATED (in this area) OPINION ONLY. If you get a hellspawn, you will always respect its ability to kill you, and will remain cautious and respectful of its power always. Complacency is a major killer.

i think the advice i either read on this forum at some point or whatever was take a really ferocious aggressive non-ven or mildy venomous and keep it in the conditions you would keep your ven in for a yr. If you get bitten consider yourself dead and keep to the safer ones. If you don't upgrade *dance* I considered it fairly good advice =)

ps: I may be incorrect with my "necrotoxin" statement also. I've heard some ven keepers say they’d sooner cop a cleaner bite from a tiger than off a red belly :lol: Personally I wouldn’t care much for either biting me :lol: :lol:

RBBS venom contains strong haemolytic and cytotoxic actions and is also a strong cogulant,
it is only weakly neurotoxic.

hey guys ive latly been deep in thought of buying a venom ive gotten permision frm parents and the licence
ive talked to people who have seen how i handle nasty snakes such as my waterpython and an old coastal who will bite given half a chance and ive had heaps of suggestions so i want to know what people think of the following and also if they have a caresheet or better yet have owned one. any info wld b great.
this is what snakes im thinking of and why

brown tree(nightiger form)(boiga irregularis)- rear fanged. weaker venom off all my choices. bittey so will be good practice
Lowland copperhead(astrelaps superbus)- been told are puppy dogs. one of my fav looking. no heat needed :)
collets snake(pseudechis colleti)- once again puppy dogs. friend has one and its very good handeler. all hospitals carry the antivenom
Red bellied black snake (pseudechis porphyracus)- my favourite looking snake of all time. very docile. good starter elapid

With out sounding harsh,
if yuor signiture is anything to go by, how much ven experience do you have?

nick

very limited tahts why am im asking about vens and what peoples opinions are on some that ive herd are good for starters
also i gave up on the signature i cant name all my animals in the sig and i keep getting new ones so ive given up lol

All you need is a Claytons Brown snake, It looks like a ven, is as fast as a ven, it's even more aggressive than most vens,............. the Slaty Grey! (Stegonotus cucullatus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back