Vertical thermal gradient

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_k

Reaction score
Ok so I've done the smart thing and search through the forum for answer to my questions, mostly sorted. Now I'm really just wondering about something. I saw alot of comments stating "heat rises", duh =P. but what I was wondering was if anyone actually has their hotspot at the bottom of their enclosure? Is there any reason why you wouldn't do it? I was planing on running heat cord through the bottom of my enclosure (melamine) and a infrared heat lamp about half way down to create the "hotspot" as well as keep the top of the enclosure at a steady heat. Maybe run a branch close by the lamp for my girl to bask on.
If needed I'm keeping a Murray darling python and the enclosure is 1200mm high by 700 wide by 450 deep
Your comment will be appreciated!!

You're better off heating the top of the enclosure and just leaving the bottom to be dictated by the ambient temperature of the room. This will give the animal a much larger thermal gradient allowing it to access a cooler base if it wants to. Provided that it has a nice basking spot, it will be fine. Murray Darlings are quite tolerant of the cold given their natural distribution.

As Blakehose said, there is nothing to be gained by putting the basking spot down low, it is much easier to let physics work for you rather than against you. Otherwise it will be very hard to have any cool spots

Yeah ok, so even bother with heat cord then? Or just use it but move the heat lamp to the top of the enclosure

A heat lamp at the top of the enclosure will be perfectly fine, without the heat cord at the bottom.

Yeah ok, how important are basking lamps? Recon a spot close to the infrared lamp would be sufficient?

does there need to be a flat shelf with a hide up top in the hot end or will branches be fine.

we always put shelves up high and low , hides depend on the snake. Some love hides others dont bother

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back