Very Sick Woma :( Help Please!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyh

Reaction score
Experienced people, please help. See attached photos.

My Woma is 2 years old. It hasn't eaten for 4 weeks (usually eats large rat weekly). When I presented food to her last night she looked a bit off. Not responding much, and slow movements. Skin looked a little lighter than usual.

I picked her up, and her underbelly was a mess. I have pebble substrate, and some were imbedded in her. Her skin was literally falling off, exposing a lot of muscle tissue. It looks and smells rank. There was some fecal matter on the heat matt tjat she was lying in. The heat matt has a safety thermostat and max temp., which I'm told should prevent any burns.

I have completely emptied her tank, disinfected it, and only have her heat matt (now set to 38 celcius, previously 32), paper towel substrate, hide and a very small water bowl in there now. I have just given her a betadine bath (1:20 ratio). I then rubbed Dettol cream on her belly. She seemed okay during the bath and while applying cream.

I am worried about her, can anyone hazard a diagnosis, besides poor husbandry? Any ideas for treatment. I have no vet available near by. I haven't handled her in a few weeks, so I'm not sure how long she has been suffering for.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 285
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 311
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 290
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 267
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Take her to a vet.

- - - Updated - - -

Whats your location that would help also

The last picture looks incredibly sore and painful. I'd definitely go to a vet too.

Last edited:
Thank you but unfortunately a home treatment is my only option. Does anyone know what is wrong with her from the pics? Or any ideas for home treatment?

looks like severe burning, and/or parasites...really needs a vet though, it could get infected and worse..

Agreed with the others, a wound like that would probably need antibiotics at least, which you will need a vet for.

Is there not any vet at all near you? Any old vet will do if you can't find an exotic/Herp vet.

Looks to me like a burn, sometimes if you bury a heat mat under pebbles the mat will get very hot in order to sufficiently heat the surface of the pebbles. Has this happened all of a sudden or over time? I would really recommend flamazine cream for the burns but it may also need pain relief so please consider a vet trip, some vets will let you pay off the bill if that is your concern.

Well I'd say the most important thing is ensuring that it doesn't get infected.

What I'd do is keep doing the Betadine baths a couple of times a day, someone else might be able to recommend you a more effective cream to apply if Dettol isn't suitable*. I'd also make sure that the enclosure is very clean and if I were in your position I'd consider putting her in a large click clack style enclosure just so there is nothing in there that she could have possibly injured herself on. Then I'd be looking at the current enclosure for anything she could have hurt herself with.

I'd also seriously consider the vet, as has been mentioned they may allow you to pay any treatment off in installments. It's a very large wound and an infection could end up fatal.

This is just a basic idea, I'm by no means an expert, just trying to give you some quick advice to minimise risk until someone more knowledgeable comes along.

Hope this helps.

*I have used Dettol and Savlon in the past on minor scratches but nothing ever as serious as your pictures.

Last edited:
Your not really thinking about yor animals health you should take it to the vet no questions asked

Looks like a burn to me , never heard of pebble substrate , they tend to heat up alot... you cant treat that at home , besides some cream etc. which will do jack all

Do you have to show the vet your licence details? Maybe thats why he can't/ wont take it to get help.

Looks like a burn to me , never heard of pebble substrate , they tend to heat up alot... you cant treat that at home , besides some cream etc. which will do jack all
Flamizine is a special burn cream that helps stop infection with its antibacterial properties but injectable antibiotics may be required for a substantial burn like that.

Can anyone expand on this?

This should not be your motivation for letting your snake die. You can get one within the next 10 minutes, legally own your snake and not have to worry about the consequences of taking a sick animal to the vet.

In QLD it'll cost you $60, your snake is worth atleast $400.

This should not be your motivation for letting your snake die. You can get one within the next 10 minutes, legally own your snake and not have to worry about the consequences of taking a sick animal to the vet.

In QLD it'll cost you $60, your snake is worth atleast $400.
Some states may not have the same licensing as us in Qld and it may be on an advanced license or something and also you can not put an off license snake onto a license that easily but you are right about needing to put the snakes well being first.

Just take it to the damn vet, don't let this snake suffer the consequences of your actions.

It's not the money at all. I adopted the python off a friend who didn't have a licence for her. When I tried to get one I was told that as the snake had never been registered and as such can't prove her lineage, that they would confiscate and destroy her if they knew where she was.

Could I buy antibiotics and treat her myself? I don't want to compromise my vet as she sees all my animals, except this one..

It looks like a burn. If it is, the snake is probably in a lot of pain and will need pain relief. She's also very vulnerable to infection with that exposed tissue. You'll need antibiotics.

Whereabouts are you? Maybe someone can help you out with a vet recommendation.

PS: If you're worried about the snake being confiscated, ask the vet if they need a licence number to treat the snake. I understand your concern, but if that injury is as nasty as it looks, the snake could die anyway without treatment.

Last edited:
They wont destroy it if they can find someone to look after it, I think for the sake of the animal you should give it up and let it get the help it needs. Don't be selfish mate.

I have never been asked to produce my reptile licence when taking an animal to the vet. Falure to take this snake to the vet is animal cruelty and may cost you alot more than keeping an unlicenced reptile.

- - - Updated - - -

You could say you found it and surrender it to the vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back