Victorian Reloctors Fees - Price increase & Amended

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosenoose

Legendary
Reaction score
I rang the "new beaut" (sarcastic-as-hell-face-inserted here) DEPI (formally the DSE for all things reptile) regarding the changes on the Commercial Wildlife Application Form. Previously it was Type 1 controller (@ $611.00 pa) – birds, possums, reptiles and wombats, then Type 2 (@ $122.20) for reptiles only.

Unless I'm wrong, it appears they've raised the stakes to $256.80 p/a (or lowered it depending on which sort of relocator you are) which additionally allows you to remove and relocate wombats, possums and birds, as opposed to the "reptiles only" permit formally charged at $122.20 p/a Personally I don't care less about possums, wombats or birds...but I do care about our snakes (or lizards) copping a shovelling (and from the tight ones not willing to fork out the usual fee charged by some).

Personally I've always performed this as a community service (in other words " for free"), and it was always word of mouth and when I'm about locally and not working - which isn't always convenient for someone confronted with a snake. Snakes tend to be a very seasonal animal, and probably explains why the licence to control them was initially half the price.

So how do "relocators" feel about the $130 price hike, or even the reasoning behind it? Do you relocate other animals apart from snakes and lizards? Or will you know look at additional "training" and equipment to cover the newer aspects of the licensing arrangement?

My main goal was moving the odd snake here and there (as opposed to the owner killing it - and let me remind you - they are protected by law to do so - no matter what you say due to the legal loopholes!!) or me shifting it alive and safety for nothing and copping the $$'s to do it at my own risk. You might as well be installing asbestos for the government, just ensure you remain safe ;)

Personally Victorian "Parks" officers should do relocations as a free "government paid" service for taxpayer/retiree landowners. They classify snakes as a protected species….but do everything humanly possible to ensure they end up on the blade of a shovel.

I might be having a whinge (and yes, I am) but it’s just another example of bloody governments trying to screw every last penny out of you! Be warned...you’ll be slugged with a breathing tax soon! (Oh hang on…...that’s right…...the Carbon tax is already a reality) :D :lol:

Flame me if you dare :D

Hi bud,
I can not say for victoria but i felt the same way as you wishing to protect against the shovel.
I have joined wires the local and state wide animal rescue group which is licenced under national parks and wildlife. I do not get paid for my services but they do cover me personal against injury and liabilty. So if that sanke you are relocating happens to get the best of you i am insured.

Cant say in your surcumstances or speack for your state but i found this was the safest and easy way to do my part for the reptiles (i might add that wires allows you to choose the animals you are to rescue and relocate).

So for me I am getting to do a service i love doing and does not cost me and even better I am insured while doing it, this might be your way around such a charge / licence fee.

Cheers Jacob

Hi bud,
I can not say for victoria but i felt the same way as you wishing to protect against the shovel.
I have joined wires the local and state wide animal rescue group which is licenced under national parks and wildlife. I do not get paid for my services but they do cover me personal against injury and liabilty. So if that sanke you are relocating happens to get the best of you i am insured.

Cant say in your surcumstances or speack for your state but i found this was the safest and easy way to do my part for the reptiles (i might add that wires allows you to choose the animals you are to rescue and relocate).

So for me I am getting to do a service i love doing and does not cost me and even better I am insured while doing it, this might be your way around such a charge / licence fee.

Cheers Jacob

What a terrific option! I know a few guys who have opted to head down the WIRES path in NSW. Thanks Yogi ;)

Does anyone know if there is a similar thing for Vic?

It was going to be much worse Luke, initially they were going to charge around $500 from memory but a few people kicked up a stink and they dropped the price by around half. (even though it is more than it used to be for purely snake relocations)

I didn't even know you had to pay for permits to do this! How do they "justify" making you pay to provide a community service?? That seems quite outrages. (Obviously for people like the op, not someone who turns this into a business)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back