Violence, drugs, alcohol abuse, crime in general.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grannieannie

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Every day I see in the news more and more stories of abuse in our cities, in our streets and homes, nasty neighbourhood feuds. So many people seem affected, ordinary good living people, it sounds like life is getting very frightening for our young and old...... have you,.... do you....experience it in your life ?

Personally I can say I don't. Maybe it's because I don't go out at night, maybe because I'm lucky to have good neighbours. I sometimes hear that my area of Mandurah, just south of Perth, has a bad name, and I even see reports in the local papers of violence in our city, but I personally have never witnessed it in the 20 yrs I've lived here. I found a used syringe on the street a few weeks ago, that's the only evidence I've found in all that time. I feel safe livng where I do and going about my day to day business....

Tell me of your experiences..................

The whole first underbelly series happened in my area.

Carl Williams was shot in a vacant block of land that is next to a mates house and only a couple streets away from mine. (in the tv series they did it at a much nicer place but it was a crappy block of land that was empty in the suburb of Gladstone Park in Victoria.

Well..I'm a security guard at a well known brisbane pub, so..obviously. I've seen pretty much every weapon and low, dog act you can imagine. Although, the place is a Lot better than when I started- mostly because everyone knows that if I find anyone dealing in the premises, the cctv goes offline and an unfortunate accident happens. But behaviour in general seems to have gone downhill in the last few years, especially among 'ladies'.

Hey..signature removed?? Damn you big brother!!!

I worked in Corrective Services Drug and Alcohol rehab...................Nuff Said :)

7 groups of people have tried to mug me over the past 5 years. 2 got away with my stuff but i managed to keep the others off. I was 14 when i first got mugged by 5 men in black hoodies as i walked home from school. I started carrying with me inconspicuous tools i could use to fend myself which have all worked well in self defence against the next 6. worst case was a bottle to the eye which broke on impact and sliced my eyebrow open. about 3 cm from my eye. very lucky. also got internal bleeding from being stomped on after being knocked unconscious in that same occasion. I've been hit with trolley poles, broom sticks etc. the other times i was able to escape or immobilise the attackers. I always find it funny how they are in groups. Just shows they are too cowardly to fight by themselves and instead a group of them will pick one guy to attack. It really emasculates you when you are left with your possessions taken knowing you can not do anything about it. every single time i report to the police nothing is found so i stopped reporting them it was a waste of my time. I have managed to find out addresses of three of the attackers but there isn't much i can do about it. Good to know though.

7 groups of people have tried to mug me over the past 5 years. 2 got away with my stuff but i managed to keep the others off. I was 14 when i first got mugged by 5 men in black hoodies as i walked home from school. I started carrying with me inconspicuous tools i could use to fend myself which have all worked well in self defence against the next 6. worst case was a bottle to the eye which broke on impact and sliced my eyebrow open. about 3 cm from my eye. very lucky. also got internal bleeding from being stomped on after being knocked unconscious in that same occasion. I've been hit with trolley poles, broom sticks etc. the other times i was able to escape or immobilise the attackers. I always find it funny how they are in groups. Just shows they are too cowardly to fight by themselves and instead a group of them will pick one guy to attack. It really emasculates you when you are left with your possessions taken knowing you can not do anything about it. every single time i report to the police nothing is found so i stopped reporting them it was a waste of my time. I have managed to find out addresses of three of the attackers but there isn't much i can do about it. Good to know though.

There is heaps you can do about it, just not the sort of thing you mention on the internet. The walls have ears you know!!! :)

On a more sobering note, it sounds like you've had a really **** run......Where abouts do you live?

I know someone who was jumped walking home from work. He's a martial arts master, and defended himself "a little too well." They sued, he now has a criminal record. His reputation keeps him safe (funnily enough), but it was still a crock of *****.

Well Grannie I live in Mandurah too and basically its a different place when the sun goes down, particularly along the foreshore where all the nightlife is. I imagine its the same for a lot of places.

I know someone who was jumped walking home from work. He's a martial arts master, and defended himself "a little too well." They sued, he now has a criminal record. His reputation keeps him safe (funnily enough), but it was still a crock of *****.

If someone attacks you, what are you supposed to do? Hit them with a feather duster?

I'm not a violent person but I have nothing against self-defence.

I've been shot at, attacked with knives, shivs, iron bars, and even a blood filled syringe... but then, when we chose certain professions we have to accept when they come with a certain element of danger. Thankfully, it's been a long time since I've been at the pointy end of a weapon. Never been in any kind of altercation outside of work though...

I was Team leader for a commercial cleaning firm for awhile, we did rental vacates. Our biggest fear was getting stuck from syringes, there were plenty of them in some weird places. When I managed a tourist concern in the Gulf I was in between Bourketown and Booroloola(sp) The Doom city police loved me, they said I was the only licenced establishment that never called them. Suffice to say I had very unorthodox methods of dealing with drunks/thieves and would be rioters ;) What people need to understand was that I was hours away from any town and had to be tough or I would've been continually victimized(me and the establishment)

I live on the main street of Darwin, across the road from the only 24 hr. stodge food shops. Oooeee do we see some sights. Our back balcony looks straight onto the main street so sometimes we watch the fights, etc but that gets boring so we go to the front balcony which overlooks one of the last bits of bush left in Darwin, no traffic noise, lots of birds and Countrymen singing to clap sticks. Sweet as.

Darwin was pretty cruisy not long ago. There's a lot of Army boys who would get pissed, smoke a few cones and giggle themselves into a stupor. Then came drug testing and methamphetamyne is out of your system in 24 hours so it became the drug of choice. There are some very pumped up angry ants on the streets these days. (I'm not hanging it on the army lads, they are good people but anyone under the influence can behave badly.) Then they banned drinking in the Communities so all the hard core drinkers moved into the bigger towns and brought all their issues with them.

I have a quiet beer on the balcony with the snakes. Or go bush. Lost all interest in night life!

I live on the main street of Darwin

I take it that's Smith Street? I used to be one of those Army boys, and enjoyed many a pint at Kitty O'Shea's (I lived on base at Larrakeyah, so it was a leisurely stroll home from there after a few too many). Is Mitchell Street still backpacker central?

The hoodlums are atrocious in my neighbourhood. Some screech outside my window in the middle of the night at about 12.30, 1 am. Neighbours to the south will throw a noisy party, especially when it's wet. It sounds like a full-on corroboree, or maybe a building site. Then there are the antisocial loners that insist on opening coconuts after dark with the loudest method possible.

Damn those orange-footed scrub birds (Megapodius reinwardt), white-lipped tree frogs (Litoria infrafrenata) and giant white-tailed rats (Uromys caudimaculatus)!

Yep. Smith St. and Mitchell St is still backpacker/ club pub central.

I used to pick up the $500 from the 8 ball comp at Kittys more often than not. And Squires, the Parap, etc. For a while I was making more money playing sticks in the local comps than I was making at work!

Staggering distance from home is a big plus living in town for sure!! :)

I take it that's Smith Street? I used to be one of those Army boys, and enjoyed many a pint at Kitty O'Shea's (I lived on base at Larrakeyah, so it was a leisurely stroll home from there after a few too many). Is Mitchell Street still backpacker central?

a cursory look at statistics suggests that for but one category of criminal offence, ourselves and our property are the safest we've been in a decade.
I'm procrastinating doing a uni assignment, so someone else can fully investigate this.
don't believe the media hype.

Too much hate in this world not enough love is the problem :'(

Too much me not enough us I reckon.

I mourn the loss of Community since I was a kid but it's still there and I love it when I find it. Refreshes the soul.

Last edited:

Im no master but i am black belt in tai kwon do and have had to defend myself while helping out a complete stranger at trainstation after he was jumped by three blokes. i broke a mans jaw and gouged the eyes of another to the point that he is still blind in one eye as far as im aware. Went to court but after pleading not guilty on the grounds i thought my life was in danger and only did what was neccesary for my own survival judge let me off no recordings and finger prints etc destroyed. The fact there was three of them and they had already hurt someone else meant i could do more damge and get off easier. If you are ever in the same or similar situation go absolutly mental looking and shout and yell alot and if they dont run away they will be put off enough you can attack there weak points. Gouge there eyes as hard as you can stops them every time. when in court pleading the fact that you thought they would kill you justifies the result.

we were renting in a swarve part of Brizzy right on the water and never had a problem....we have since bought a house in a not so good part of Brizzy and i have seen alot, burning stolen cars outside my bedroom window at 3am in the morning domestic violence, hoons street fights and more. Its a real eye opener thats 4 sure. I do a rubbish clean over the road from us each wk (vacant block) and anyway its not pretty...needles and broken glass :| its not nice but sadly part of todays world. On a brighter note i have no regrets.....i think of this area as our stepping stone. We have a large block of land with a huge yard 4 the kiddies and a gr8 guard dog lol, so yeah im not fussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back