Volunteer work/ Environmental Consultancy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spiderpug

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My names is James and I am coming to the end of my Degree (Bachelor of Science: Zoology Major/Ecology Minor) here in New Zealand. I am moving to Australia when the degree is finished and I am looking for work preferably but I will also be considering volunteer work. I am very interested in spotter/catcher work that environmental consultants do. I have applied for a couple of jobs and I search job sites regularly. My ultimate job is working with the fauna of Australia as it is what I am most passionate about. I really am passionate about working in conservation/environmental management(Applied Ecology). I have experience handling some snakes in Queensland, volunteer work reptile monitoring for the Department of Conservation and one summer I was a student ranger for the Auckland Council 2011/2012.

Does anyone know of any jobs available or volunteer work/organisations that would be able to hook me up with the experience I need in handling Australian Wildlife? I plan to get my venomous snake handling permit as soon as possible once I have settled down in Brisbane.

Any pointers would be great, just send me a message on here or even better to my email [email protected]. If you want to see my CV please see attached.View attachment James_ CV 2013 (1.02).docx

Cheers,
James

Last edited:
Drop into Indonesia instead
AWESOME reptiles here
Lots of wildlife needing help

Hi James,

Great initiative man - really putting yourself out there - I like that.

Spotter catcher jobs require sound identification skills (so I've heard). I'm not doubting that you may have those skills, but I think being from NZ may play against you when viewed by a potential employer.

You may wish to consider undertaking an honours or master of philosophy degree at an Australian University. You seem to have all the prerequisites. This would help solidify your knowledge base in Australian terms and provide a springboard for future work opportunities given the type of work you are interested in.

Dan

Drop into Indonesia instead
AWESOME reptiles here
Lots of wildlife needing help

Do you know of any organisations like volunteer work or paid work over in indonesia? I have seen some consultancies do work in the Indonesian Islands

Aside from from some organisations that require substantial 'donations' in return for 'volunteer' work
there are others who will welcome you at little or no cost because of your qualifications
Not many of them work with reptiles though
Most are involved with raptors cats and primates as that is where the money from international funding primarily goes
There is a rapidly growing number of wildlife NGOs run by Indonesians for Indonesia
Actual field work may be more difficult because they may consider field work a waste of your qualifications

Aus Aid and NZ Aid both fund various projects
Will be worth looking through them first for some ideas
PM me if you get stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back