Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mycoej

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Been wondering if anyone knows anything about the WA reptile law. From my understanding you can’t import reptiles from other states, which I find stupid because you can bring in cats and dog which can be more destructive than a snake.

Does anyone know anything more on this topic?
or know anything deeper into it?
and does anyone else not like the set up at all?

Personally I feel that other states have a better constructed system.

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been many a concerted effort on this forums behalf to help our friends in WA with their reptile keeping laws. Maybe do a search on here on this fruitless topic!

And yes.... other states have it better.

There have been many a concerted effort on this forums behalf to help our friends in WA with their reptile keeping laws. Maybe do a search on here on this fruitless topic!

And yes.... other states have it better.

Has anyone tried get it fixed?...
What are the better aspects of other states laws?

Yes, you can import reptiles from other states as long as they're on the West Australian species list. The exemption to this is pythons, however. There is an import ban on all pythons, whether they're on the species list or not. I'm sure many a regular member here knows of my dislike for our current licencing regulations. They're more expensive with less benefits and less species compared to most other states.

I've heard that a few things will be changing next year. I'm doubtful it's going to be for the better, given light of the proposed changes happening in other states. But I suppose it could be worse. At times I've considered relocating east just for the simple reason of having more freedom when it comes to reptile keeping.

Has anyone tried get it fixed?...
What are the better aspects of other states laws?
As far as I know, the regulations were changed as a response to an outbreak and confirmation of Sunshine virus in Queensland. (Someone correct me if I’m wrong) So I highly doubt anyone can just fix it.

Other states don’t currently have as many restrictions and more choice when it comes to what they can keep.

Yes, you can import reptiles from other states as long as they're on the West Australian species list. The exemption to this is pythons, however. There is an import ban on all pythons, whether they're on the species list or not. I'm sure many a regular member here knows of my dislike for our current licencing regulations. They're more expensive with less benefits and less species compared to most other states.

I've heard that a few things will be changing next year. I'm doubtful it's going to be for the better, given light of the proposed changes happening in other states. But I suppose it could be worse. At times I've considered relocating east just for the simple reason of having more freedom when it comes to reptile keeping.

So say if i lived in wa and wanted a jungle jag carpet python or a diamond carpet python i wouldn’t be able to keep it because it’s not listed on the wa keepers list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back