Wallum frogging

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smacdonald

Reaction score
Copied from my blog.

--

Wallum frogs is the collective term applied to a suite of frog species that are found only in wallum/heath environments. These environments are characterised by vegetation such as Melaleucas, sedges and banksias. The waters in these swampy areas are tannin-stained and of a low pH due to the dissolved organic acids.

My friend Kat (of crayfish fame) is now doing a PhD looking at factors that influence the distribution of these wallum froggies. I went out with her on Friday night to have a bit of a poke around. I'd never explored any wallum country, so I was happy to see the three species we were hoping for (plus one ubiquitous foreigner).

Crinia tinnula

Litoria olongburensis. Caught under permit.
You know, we often joke about burning animals' eyes out with our high-powered flashes. I never knew it could actually happen...

I didn't mean for this to happen. At least it was self-cauterising

Litoria olongburensis. Caught under permit.
The blue thigh colouration is typical of this species.

Litoria olongburensis

Litoria freycineti

Bufo marinus

No reptiles. I think they were all swallowed whole by the gigantic mosquitoes buzzing around the place. These mozzies were so ferocious they managed to bite through my hot pink lycra wet suit.

I didn't touch the cane toads, so I assume they're still hoping around the place.

Stewart

how many babys do cane toads have? bet if you go back there will be a few little baby ones. they look cute when they are younger but get ugly as they get bigger :lol: any habitat pictures? thanks

We saw dozens and dozens of adult cane toads over the course of a few hours. I've read that a large female can produce up to 50,000 eggs. I don't know if that's in one season, or over a life time. I didn't take any habitat photos. I meant to, but was too busy fending off blood-sucking dipterans. I'll go back and take some pics during the day at some stage.

Stewart

freycineti are horrible.

and i hate mosquitos

nice pics though stew. tinnula and olongburensis cant recall if i have seen either before but definitly have not photographed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back