Water Python Not Eating?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reeceking01

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey sorry guys quick question.. I got a water python a week and half ago. Tried feeding him twice now once about 3 days ago and again just now.. The guy who sold me him said he needed a lot of handling because he was angry and he never had any time. Mentioned he just shed that day and would be due for a feed.. He has been great the past 3 days and hasn't hissed or striked once. But still nothing thought maybe he would have eaten by now. Ive had 5 snakes previous and all have been good eaters so any advice.???
Tried the pin in the head etc.. Still nothing

Also need to mention i have been taking it out of his enclosure to feed in a separate tub... Should i try leaving the mice in its own enclosure over night? Or is this a bad habbit?

Nothing in either of your posts indicates there is a problem with the snake. You have only had it for less than two weeks, and it sounds like it is a young snake, so it is likely to feel a little intimidated. Let it settle in, and try not to over-handle it. Does it have a suitable hide? And what is the temp?

Snakes can go for lengthy periods without eating, so just offer it food once or twice a week. At the moment, your main concern should be making sure all of its cage and temp requirements are being met. It will eat when it's ready.

S

Has a good hide it loves to sit in.. Have a 150w ceramic heat lamp i leave on one third of the enclosure. Il just try and leave it alone for a week not handle then try again. Cant seem to find much info for the care of a water python online

Adderboy already answered this, just give a fortnight to settle in, it wont starve.

Theres HEAPS of information about water python care.

You can download books, you can visit www.snakeranch.com.au aswell, they have good caresheets on most pythons.

As the others have mentioned, stop handling him at all for a solid week. Let him settle in, the only interaction you should have with him is changing out his water and spot cleaning his tank. Don't offer food to him for a week, just let him calm down, then next week try feeding. Also maybe don't remove him from the tank to feed that could freak him out a little. My stimmy will not eat outside of his hide, because he's so tiny and I'm massive to him. I suggest just leaving him in his tank not moving his hide, but place the food item at the entrance of his lil den. He might just be a shy eater at the moment. Cater to his needs :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back