Waterbowls?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is extensive information in the DIY section on making all manner of things.

Have a look and see if the fake rock info is the type of thing you are after.

Yeah you could just make something like a fake rock hide but upside down. Just be really careful with what you use to seal it. You don't want something that will degrade over time from being constantly wet or that is toxic

I just use a plastic blue dog bowl as a base, the build around it

Does it need to be pretty? I use ceramic dog bowls and plastic containers from the supermarket. You could also get a large bowl and bury it into the substrate if you want a pool type look (assuming you're using a substrate that allows this).

Yeah good call Notech. Ceramic dog bowls are awesome because they are nice and heavy and they don't tip over

Heres one i prepared earlier :)

Take a plastic cake container from the $2 shop - it literally cost me $2 , save the lid for frisbee with the dog/kids, wrap the outside of the container with a collar of cardboard, ( to make space for the render later) get some scrap foam, hot glue it in place without glueing it to the cardboard, gently remove container and cardboard collar, slop on some left over render (or fresh if you have it ) throw on some paint, seal the inside with pondtite or sealer of your choice, - just in case there overspill when your python bathes.... put your finished creation over the top of the container, and you have a cheap stable waterbowl that is easy to clean. Lift the rock surround, put in the clean one, fill it up. Wash the dirty one and put aside for the next change over . . if you've done a few other fake rock projects then all its cost you is $2 ($4 if you use two for a swap out) and a few hours

PS its a 4litre container

Attachments

• IMG_0502.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0508.JPG
    IMG_0508.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Heres one i prepared earlier :)

Take a plastic cake container from the $2 shop - it literally cost me $2 , save the lid for frisbee with the dog/kids, wrap the outside of the container with a collar of cardboard, ( to make space for the render later) get some scrap foam, hot glue it in place without glueing it to the cardboard, gently remove container and cardboard collar, slop on some left over render (or fresh if you have it ) throw on some paint seal the inside with pondtite or sealer of your choice, - just incase there overspill when your python bathes.... put your finished creation over the top of the container,

and you have a cheap stable waterbowl that is easy to clean. Lift the rock surround, put in the clean one, fill it up. Wash the dirty one and put aside for the next change over . . if you've done a few other fake rock projects then all its cost you is $2 ($4 if you use two for a swap out) and a few hours

awesome..thanks for sharing.

Hey Jaxrtfm, Are you just using styrafoam? if so are you using a grout to cover to get that natural look? And your painting looks great how do you get it so good? Just asking as I like building and creating and I am in the progress of making 2 hides for my hatchy Stimmi. They look good so far just putting the clearcoat on now but my painting technique sucks. Any tips........ And sorry if has been posted before but had to reply cause that water bowl looks awesome...

Cheers......

From the description Jax used render but grout works fine too Drew. Her painting is that good because she is the DIY Queen and has ridiculous skills. From my limited experience sponges and watered down paint gives you a fairly good textured look

Thanks guys, you'll have my head swell so much i wont be able to get into the shed, or worse yet you'll make me blush :p

Sax is right, i prefer acrylic render, and about 4-5 thin coats rather than one solid coat. and yes, other than the hot glue temporarily holding the foam pieces together it is all just pieces of scrap foam, hit with a small pencil butane torch.

I wont take all the glory for the painting, i've been doing it for a while, but Treg posted an awesome tutorial thread that made people lift their skill to a whole new level.... http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/diy-zone-5392/productive-evening-164996/ so check it out,
everything i do is dry brush like treg does. i will be experimenting with an airbrush shortly, should be fun ! !
as for painting tips, once the base colour is on (add colour to the last coat of render/grout) put a little bit of colour on a dish/paper towel/paper plate, whatever you choose. then a tiny bit of black on one side of it, and a tiny bit of white on the other. "dab" the paintbrush lightly into the edge of the colur/black or colour/white part then on a paper towel 'mix' it and remove most of the paint. then lightly brush over the render, the high bits will drag bits of colour off (see tregs tutorial) by alternating between the black or white side of the colour, you keep the same tone of colour without making it too obvious , the last touch of colour is always more white with a tiny bit of colour. spread this sparingly, I'll have to take a pic of it without the artificial light, it looks sooo much better in natural light LOL

FYI I dont posess any 'ridiculous' skills or talents other than refusing to believe I cant do it. :p my suffering hubby tells me i'm stubborn, I prefer the word 'persistant'.

I'll go an pack my ego away now.... thanks guys ;)

Last edited:
these are all great suggestions guys but im using it for a levis so i dont need anything too heavy. i think i might give dangles' technique a go. thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back