Weight of food

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Anyone know what percentage of a snakes body weight you can feed to it at one time? I've never gone by weight before, just looked at food size and thought "Yeah, that looks about right," but am now thinking that I am perhaps being a little conservative in size of food.

I go always on 20% and I never had a problem; it however depends to the snake's species too, for example emerald tree boas have to eat a smaller prey than they can eat, due to their delicate stomach.

I feed mine food that weighs roughly 25% of the snakes weight. However, they have taken food up to 40% of their weight without any problem but i'll say 20 - 25% is a good indication especially if you feed them often. :lol: :lol:

All my snakes and their food get put on the scale before feeding. I actually feed in plastic boxes on the scale. Biggest I have fed by percentage is about %35. More typical is %20 to %25. I have no idea what others might feed, but this is about what my snakes seem to want. I would definatly say that most people baby their snakes when it comes to size of prey. I say that from looking at pictures on this site and others around the web. Just my opinion, but I think most snake owners might be shocked to see how big a mouse or rat their snakes can and will eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back