What are the most playful species of reptiles in Australia?

Help Support AUSSIE PYTHONS:

ElapidHooks

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Nope, unfortunately no reptiles show affection towards humans, some accept you, but no affection. Sorry if I sounded stubborn there :) if you want something to potentially follow you around or cuddle with you, I'd get a bearded dragon, they can be quite fun and playfull at times. Hope this helps! :)

dragonlover1

AussiePythons Supporter
AussiePythons Supporter
Trusted Seller
Reaction score
as elapidhooks says, a bearded dragon is possibly the most affectionate species. I have about 10 species and these would be the only ones that look forward to you being there, apart from my lace monitors

Last edited:

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Nope, unfortunately no reptiles show affection towards humans, some accept you, but no affection. Sorry if I sounded stubborn there :) if you want something to potentially follow you around or cuddle with you, I'd get a bearded dragon, they can be quite fun and playfull at times. Hope this helps! :)
Thanks for the specific answer, just learned from it and thanks for sharing.

dragonlover1

AussiePythons Supporter
AussiePythons Supporter
Trusted Seller
Reaction score
I have to put in a qualifier, when I said Beardies, I specifically meant Central Bearded Dragons (Pogona vitticeps) and also Dwarf Bearded Dragons (P.minor) because Pygmy Bearded Dragons (P.henrylawsoni) are not very keen on handling . I have several of each and have had for years.

sherlock

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Are there any that love to play, or follow you around or show affection?
Here's an example of a crocodile that did make friends with his rescuer. But I doubt you have the room for a 4 meter croc. as a friend.

And I do recall a documentary about reptiles that showed a Komodo Dragon that did relax with visible pleasure when his keeper stroked him.

So I'm sure there are some, my guess is a monitor of some sort. They are very intelligent animals.

dragonlover1

AussiePythons Supporter
AussiePythons Supporter
Trusted Seller
Reaction score
you're right about monitors ,here is my female lacie giving my ear a lick. I can give the male a cuddle but I don't think I'd trust him that close to my ear20211009_123736 (1).jpg

Vixen.

Reaction score
Awwwww! That's absolutely adorable! Even if it's most likely just demanding food.... it's still nice to be noticed!

Seb_ridgy's

Reaction score
I had a Stimson python that loved me so much, she would chase me around he room with her mouth open. Sweet little thing.
that's pretty cool

Here's an example of a crocodile that did make friends with his rescuer. But I doubt you have the room for a 4 meter croc. as a friend.

And I do recall a documentary about reptiles that showed a Komodo Dragon that did relax with visible pleasure when his keeper stroked him.

So I'm sure there are some, my guess is a monitor of some sort. They are very intelligent animals.
ridge tailed monitors are awesome fun and love playing with you. my pair love to run and jump up the stairs.

NicG

Reaction score

Latest posts