What could 'she' be doing?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ellab1ack

Not so new Member
Reaction score
2 days after I fed my 4 month old Spotted python I was handling her and she stared nosing the back of my hand and then opening her mouth and trying to bite me sideways, but not really biting me or striking, just casually rubbing her open mouth on my hand. I wash my hands with the same soap before I handle her and she isn't a striker at all. Is she just having a chew? It's weird.
Elissa

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like you had something on you she liked the smell of maybe, but doesn't sound like she tried to coil your arm though.
Recently after handling a raw roast pork I'd washed my hands well and went to give our Woma some attention through the mesh in the lid and she picked up the smell and tried to strike, she was due for another feed and had a smaller rat than normal on her last one, so was hungry sooner than normal.

She's not cage defensive to the point of striking unless you surprise her accidently and I hadn't surprised her, she was fine until she sniffed the air a little bit while I was patting her through the mesh.

Is she due for a shed? They start from the chin and work their way down and it's quite peculiar to witness.

They also rub their mouth and jaw hard on things in the enclosure to get their jaw back in place after a feed, maybe it's jaw was out of place and it was using your arm to try to relocate it.

I've only just upped her feeds to fuzzies, she's had about 4 now but is wanting to be fed still every 4/5 days. I don't think another 3 weeks on them before trying her on a hopper is unreasonable for her size, she is still little, 18 gms.
I think at least another 2 weeks until a shed, she is only just starting to lose the shiny rainbow look.
I can't believe how great she sheds, one perfect piece.
The putting her jaw back is really interesting, never even thought of that.
Thanks, like I said, it wasn't worrying just weird.
Elissa

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My woma and BHP's do that and are really sneaky about it and that is just because they are food orientated.

I noticed my darwin doing it aswell. She wakes up, comes out of her hide, rubs herself on everything and then rests on her perches. I have no idea why she does it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back