what do mites look like?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

junek

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi all
i know they look like tiny white spots on your snake, or in the bottom of your water dish, but if u saw one running around in your viv, what would it look like??
i ask because i have seen two things that may be mites!? they basically look just like a tiny ant, all white, crawl around at the speed of an ant, about 1mm long
so far the snake does not seem to be doing anything different, and i have never seen her in her water dish, so here's to hoping!
thanks
jamie

The tiny white spots are actually mite ****S,the mites themselves are black.If you have mites and you can see them there wil be heaps of the little mongrels and they'd be smaller than 1mm.If they're white you don't have mites.Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Browns..........

If it's all white,
It's sure not a mite.

When you do find out what it is please let us know. I have tried to get a photo of a mite but I don't have a camera kit for my microscope so it was a dismal failure sorry.

Mite egg's and young are white , then they feed up on blood and look black.
I don't think that what you are seeing are mites though, as they wouldn't be that visable and that fast(as an ant!)

As others have commented, you will find your snake in or near it's water bowl, and lots of black pinhead sized mites walking around both on the snake and in the substrate.

Neil

I think I know those white ant like things you speak of. I had (well still have outside) them in my woodies and mealworm breeding containers. I have no idea how they got there or there effect on herps.

Cheers, Jay

well, although i have no idea what they are, i feel much better now!
i realy didnt want mites now, as i am about to leave for a 5 week trip and was worried the person looking after my snake would not spot them.
i'll tell him to keep any eye out for the things you have mentioned, but it should be ok
on further inspection, the things look alot like tiny ants, so that is what i think they are!!
cheers
jamie

Hey Jamie how are you,

What sort of substrate are you using in your enclosure??? i have several different varieties but in my carpet enclosure i actually use chip bark ($6 for a 50litre bag from Big W) but with it you also get a small mite which i cant remember the name of at the moment but it feeds on the fungus that is on the chip bark once the initial moisture goes from the bark the mites dissapear, they look exactly as you are describing and i have had them checked out by Bioscience and they are totally safe for all reps.

Hope this helps you out some
Matt

If mites are black, then what are the red things that I have seen on herps in Merimbula? They are tiny red dots with white stuff all around them.
Simon

I once had billions of these little white bug things in one of my cricket containers...i'm pretty sure they go for a dirty, unhealthy environment....clean your enclosure out and all the stuff in it...than give your snake a wash...they should clear off :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back