What do you look for in a reptile to keep?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Friller2009

Reaction score
Thought i’d put this question out there,
What do you look for in an animal when adding it to your collection.
This can be things such as colour, behaviour, potentially enclosure designs, good pet qualities, etc.
Also what animal would you love to add to your collection because of these things?

Personally I adore semi aquatic reptiles and arboreal rainforest animals.
This is because i started out with plants and fish and love to incorporate water and plants into an animal’s enclosure to provide natural enrichment to the animal.
I would love to one day get Common tree snakes, White lipped tree frogs, Green Tree pythons, Mangrove monitors and if they get added to the licensing system in NSW Emerald tree monitors.

Recently I’ve been looking for more engaging animals such as monitors and small dragons, as much as I love keeping and breeding snakes… they get a bit boring after a little bit.. wake up change their stuff, feed them, and they’ll do the same thing they’ve done all month … sit in the one spot and move occasionally … but I’ll continue keeping them as long as I’m alive :p

This can be things such as colour, behaviour, potentially enclosure designs, good pet qualities, etc.
Also what animal would you love to add to your collection because of these things?

This is because i started out with plants and fish and love to incorporate water and plants into an animal’s enclosure to provide natural enrichment to the animal.
I would love to one day get Common tree snakes, White lipped tree frogs, Green Tree pythons, Mangrove monitors and if they get added to the licensing system in NSW Emerald tree monitors.
Being less of a collector and more conservation minded what I look for is anything (turtle wise) that I believe needs working on, solving, discovering, anything where a valid contribution can be made, taking on a challenge and conquering it... and or doing something that no one else is doing. As far as specimens go, being a purist I'm focussing on particular animals that display typical characteristics for the species. This will not necessarily be the flashiest, biggest, most colourful animals... it will be the typical run of the mill ones... For example, in the next year I'll be starting to work with Emydura subglobosa subglobosa. Now there's several breeders out there now deliberately producing hypos that practically glow in the dark... whilst they look remarkably stunning, they have zero genetic integrity and aren't typical of the species, (wild subbies) so I've already begun my hunt for 4 subbies and I'll be very particular, wanting to see the parent animals first, to see how big they are and what they ultimately look like. Also, I look for genetic diversity, I'm not one for inbreeding anything... Some subbies out there now are being hatched with 1 eye, classic inbred trait, being bred solely for colour, I won't come into that nonsense. Pure subbies only lay 9 - 11 eggs, no more and the hatchies are red, not orange not yellow... So if I find some animals from a clutch of 15 that have 3 colour phases I'll be walking away from that right away. Little things like that, I don't care how good it looks, if it's not the real deal I'm not in. Genuine subbies are getting harder and harder to find now as they're such prolific breeders that the few people inbreeding them for colour have like a dozen trios and are slamming out over half a dozen clutches per animal per season and flooding the market with them and the people producing genuine animals are producing so few that they sell out immediately and are often sold 2-3 years in advance (waiting lists).

What would I like to have one day to work with?? Definitely a small to medium sized species of tortoise. I think it'd be frikkin cool to be working with both turtles and tortoises.

Recently I’ve been looking for more engaging animals such as monitors and small dragons, as much as I love keeping and breeding snakes… they get a bit boring after a little bit.. wake up change their stuff, feed them, and they’ll do the same thing they’ve done all month … sit in the one spot and move occasionally … but I’ll continue keeping them as long as I’m alive :p
The Egernia genus are very engaging. My Cunningham’s go absolutely ballistic when I walk into the room. Jumping of rocks, speeding around the tank. Super fun animals.

Being less of a collector and more conservation minded what I look for is anything (turtle wise) that I believe needs working on, solving, discovering, anything where a valid contribution can be made, taking on a challenge and conquering it... and or doing something that no one else is doing. As far as specimens go, being a purist I'm focussing on particular animals that display typical characteristics for the species. This will not necessarily be the flashiest, biggest, most colourful animals... it will be the typical run of the mill ones... For example, in the next year I'll be starting to work with Emydura subglobosa subglobosa. Now there's several breeders out there now deliberately producing hypos that practically glow in the dark... whilst they look remarkably stunning, they have zero genetic integrity and aren't typical of the species, (wild subbies) so I've already begun my hunt for 4 subbies and I'll be very particular, wanting to see the parent animals first, to see how big they are and what they ultimately look like. Also, I look for genetic diversity, I'm not one for inbreeding anything... Some subbies out there now are being hatched with 1 eye, classic inbred trait, being bred solely for colour, I won't come into that nonsense. Pure subbies only lay 9 - 11 eggs, no more and the hatchies are red, not orange not yellow... So if I find some animals from a clutch of 15 that have 3 colour phases I'll be walking away from that right away. Little things like that, I don't care how good it looks, if it's not the real deal I'm not in. Genuine subbies are getting harder and harder to find now as they're such prolific breeders that the few people inbreeding them for colour have like a dozen trios and are slamming out over half a dozen clutches per animal per season and flooding the market with them and the people producing genuine animals are producing so few that they sell out immediately and are often sold 2-3 years in advance (waiting lists).

What would I like to have one day to work with?? Definitely a small to medium sized species of tortoise. I think it'd be frikkin cool to be working with both turtles and tortoises.
That is a great response. I’ve seen subglobosa come up for sale in NSW and they seem to be quite a bit cheaper than in QLD. This just because people want the fancy stubbies and not the normal ones?

Tortoises would be great to keep. I know couple of people that would pay a lot of money for a tortoise if they become legal.

a big see through terrarium with dirt and wormd

i was daying to a freind a tererium see through

big terranium partitioned with worm farm on bottom bull ant nest in a corner. aquatic turtle and tree frogs and above that a jungle snake keepng things native but some chiclids in place of turtle would be cool

i like big tropical rainforesty species of snake with bright vibrant like bredlis and jungle carpet pythons and with lizards, i look for more desert species but also tropical

Last edited:
When I was young it was dangerous big reptiles, anacondas big monitors poison snakes I'm in Denmark.Now close to 54 its more what's challenging to breed, my chinese crocodile lizards and Shinglebacks or what other people don't breed here like my aussie blueys. I loved shinglebacks since I was a kid but they cost so much here that I was 40 before getting my first pair, now I still have to breed them 🙄🤣

Latest posts

Back