Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakesalive123

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I like snakes. I grew up with lovely black snakes and tree snakes in NSW. The browns in Qld here are a little harder to love, but I investigated online and we've had success with steering them away from the house and yard by providing 'snake corridors' of low shrubs and otherwise keeping the backyard mowed so that the kookaburras can do their thing. Otherwise we're basically happy to let them have the patch of rainforest in the garden and keep down the rats that feast on the nut trees there.

About three years ago I started keeping chickens without incident. Then ...over the last three weeks I have lost FIVE teenage chickens!!! :evil:

They have vanished in the early morning (3-4amish from the crowing) as if by alien abduction and I just know it was a snake because what else could it be? A hawk, fox dog or cat could not get in without leaving a trace and rats would leave some evidence, if they were interested in chicks that big anyway which I doubt. It mangled my rooster with a bite to the neck so I am guessing it is a python and not a brown. The pen is double chicken wired and roofed, we've added aviary mesh to the sides but I think the industrious creature is getting in through the roof where there are a few gaps, or even UNDER the pen. It must be huge. I don't know how it gets OUT after eating the chicken, in fact I have found two "throttled" and half pulled through the wire as if it knew they were too big to eat inside!!! Can snakes be that smart? :shock:

We keep blocking up anything that looks like a snake has squished through and digging mesh down as best we can but it's never enough.

I can't blame it for wanting my delicious delicious heritage chickens, however... how do you turn off a snake who has found a source of food it likes? I like snakes but if it forces me to come right down to it, I like my chickens better so I thought I would go to the source and ask here as YOU GUYS KNOW SNAKES! :eek:

Short of knocking down their habitat, which would be a huge job anyway, is there anything SAFE that deters snakes? BE HONEST! And, as you obviously make enclosures that snakes can't get out of - I am thinking the same thing would work to keep them from getting in - any tips on how to mesh a really big pen to be snake proof that's within reach for the average person (who can't weld etc LOL)? Links will do I know I am being lazy here.

Also... this might seem like a really dumb question... but with that many chickens taken, once two in two nights, could it really just be one snake? Or more than one? I sort of imagined snakes ate one large meal then slept for weeks or something....:oops:

Oh and just in case someone suggests it I don't think a snake catcher could help - it's getting out of the pen so I couldn't 'hold' it for a catcher to arrive and god knows which tree it's living in. I wish it would move into my ceiling and eat mice instead.

Can't kill snakes that's illegal.
I can't imagine a snake wanting to leave so soon. Did you check under the lay box or in the hay ? Be careful = )
Try early morning to.

Use expanda foam on bits that are hard to cover.... Example the curved bits of the tin between the wood and the tin.

How is the chicken wire secured to the roof ? Snakes are great climbers and extremely good at finding holes. Just ask some of the people on here haha.

When the chooks are pulled through the wire what do they look like us there chunks of feathers everywhere ? Bite mark looks like ? Do they look like they have been squeezed ?

Dam people were fast.

Last edited:
I dont think he wants to kill it? dunno where you got that from?

I think he is after a way of detering them coming.... bit hard with chooks....

Last edited:
I can't blame it for wanting my delicious delicious heritage chickens, however... how do you turn off a snake who has found a source of food it likes? I like snakes but if it forces me to come right down to it, I like my chickens better so I thought I would go to the source and ask here as YOU GUYS KNOW SNAKES! :eek:

Just seemed like it my bad.

Exactly there's no way of deterring them unless you have a pack of kookaburras to patrol your chook pen. Which is why you gotta snake proof the pen.... Your visitor is nice anyway lol.

Last edited:
Oh, ok.... I read turn off as in turn away....

I still think he is after a 'magic cure' to stop it wanting to come back.... like those plug in the wall rodent sonic devices... for snakes or something?

I think he is better to locate the snake and call a snake catcher to take it and relocate it? I wouldnt be suprised if it is inside the pen somewhere :) They are very sneaky :lol:

We think alike a good distance to. That way it won't be back (hopefully). We had those plug in pest free things when I use to work at KFC ( the rodents lived in it for the warmth ).

Last edited:
It is prolly a big carpet python.... depending on where in Qld you are.... All you can really do is make the pen snake proof.... use mesh and screws to block any possible entrance for a snake.... and as Josh said, take a good look around INSIDE the pen.... go over it with a microscope.... it could be living in there with the chooks ;)

Do spot checks of the coop during the night.... any time you wake up, grab a torch and have a quick look in the pen.... see if you can catch the culprit in action.... and of course, keep an ear out for the chooks going ballistic in the night.... he might be stirring them up.

Welcome to APS :)

Thanks for all the replies - OMG I hadn't even THOUGHT it could still be in there!!! It COULD be, I guess! No wonder my old red hen has completely abandoned the place (I thought she was just enforcing her retirement privileges!). :shock:

I've tried searching with a torch the last few nights out of desperation, when I hear the chooks go off, but haven't spotted it yet.

Snakes don't like tattoos of humans on their skin........

......(sorry thought that this was a fashion thread).

Oh, ok.... I read turn off as in turn away....

I still think he is after a 'magic cure' to stop it wanting to come back.... like those plug in the wall rodent sonic devices... for snakes or something?

I think he is better to locate the snake and call a snake catcher to take it and relocate it? I wouldnt be suprised if it is inside the pen somewhere :) They are very sneaky :lol:

Actually you are kinda right I was hoping for something like "ring the pen with lime" or "shine a red light into the trees and you'll be able to see it" (just making these up for examples lol). Seriously... is there anything?

I don't think sonic pest deterrents work - tried the rat ones years ago and they were completely bogus - but if this guy doesn't mind me stomping around and the occasional rock band practicing here I don't think a 'thumper' will shift him. I'm fairly convinced people with thumpers just haven't spotted any of their snakes that season. Maybe it would work on small ones but .... I'm doubtful. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'd love to plug in something that deterred them!

PS: Am a 'she'.

- - - Updated - - -

Snakes don't like tattoos of humans on their skin........

......(sorry thought that this was a fashion thread).

lol!

- - - Updated - - -

Can't kill snakes that's illegal.
I can't imagine a snake wanting to leave so soon. Did you check under the lay box or in the hay ? Be careful = )
Try early morning to.

Use expanda foam on bits that are hard to cover.... Example the curved bits of the tin between the wood and the tin.

How is the chicken wire secured to the roof ? Snakes are great climbers and extremely good at finding holes. Just ask some of the people on here haha.

When the chooks are pulled through the wire what do they look like us there chunks of feathers everywhere ? Bite mark looks like ? Do they look like they have been squeezed ?

Dam people were fast.

I have both hay and boxes... it did not occur to me it could be in there, but will search today! It would certainly explain a lot.

I don't want to kill it, in fact the opposite I'd like to be able to keep my chookies and still let Mr Anaconda live happily in his foxtail palms. I don't want to have a situation where I find it with my favourite chicken by a leg and I'm faced with a choice to smack it or lose a pet. I don't think I could actually smack a carpet snake, they are way adorable, so I have to find another way to save the chickens.;)

IMO Just let nature take its course, survival of the fittest I say haha (not being biased at all). I really do feel for the chickens :/
considering this is an aussie pythons and snakes forum :D
gotta really feel for the snake he is considerably out numbered by all those fighting chooks :p

Maybe you could try putting in one of those fake owls or something.... the ones from bunnies with the big eyes.... maybe the snake might see it and have second thoughts? I think there is fake falcons as well....

I have several large pythons visit my rat shed.... they get in the shed, but they cant get into the rats cages.... perhaps make a cage within the pen with the laying boxes inside, that the chickens can stay in over night..... then the snake can see the fake owl during the day when the chooks are out?

Just a thought..... If you find the snake, call a catcher to relocate it for you :)

I just skimmed most of the posts but my thinking is to start by thoroughly checking the inside of the coop especially if there is a chance of getting under the nesting box. Then you could try those solar snake repellors, I have heard from a couple of people that they have made a big difference around their homes, they work on a vibration and high frequency transmission that snakes apparently don't like and they have a 50m radius so one next to your coop will be more than adequate.

apparently if you put sulphur around your tent when you go camping it can repel away the snakes so same could go for your chicken coop thats what my science teacher told me anyway im not so sure if its true?

You can try add some flour on every floor edges and watch the every morning. Maybe you will distinguish the marks of chickens and snake and see where did it passed by.

Or maybe you can try provide a good warm shelter to the snake and watch it every day.

This are the methods that we use when the snakes are missing...

(Sorry for the english. :p )

OP good luck with the snake. I would not be suprised if he has made himself a nice home under the nest box

Last edited by a moderator:
Your best bet would be to thoroughly snake-proof the area blocking up any gaps and using smaller meshing, this will also help to keep out other animals.

In regards snake repellers THEY DO NOT WORK! I cannot stress that enough, so many people spend hundreds/thousands of dollars on these things only to find they don't deter the snakes in the very least. The manufacturers prey on peoples' fears to make a quick buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back