What is this beautiful snake?& how much would you pay?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wattso

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
mystry_snake.jpg

You can't see the tail...so I am wondering if it is some sort of sea snake?
The sheen and shape of the head would seem to indicate it may be aquatic.
No idea what it is though.

It looks like Aspidites Chromocephalus or possibly A. Metallicus.

Fantastic looking snake !!

G

I think it is the slatey grey snake Stegonotus cucullatus from far northern Australia. The photo in the Ehmann book shows a similar glossy snake bit without the metallic shine. If it is the SG then SnakesNt ( http://www.snakesnt.com/ ) has then for sale for $200.
Incedentally the slatey-grey first came to my attention when one bit Sir Crickey and he desperately leafed though the Ehmann book to find out what species bit him :)

scale counts are done around the middle of the snake, from belly scale around to belly-scale. exclusive of the belly scale. And it looks like I was wrong with the numbers, it is 35 or more for pythons and 24 or less for other snakes :eek:pps:

Non of the Cryptophis nigrescens that I have seen have had that shine and they have had a fatter head. I'm talking about animals in the gold coast area, this doesn't mean other variations don't have that shine.
Here is a photo of a gold coast Cryptophis nigrescens that I took a couple of years ago
http://150.101.58.70/thumbnails.php?id=Snake_Small_Eyed_Snake .
This page also documents some foolish behavior on my part regarding this snake.

$200 for a slatey that healthy and if it has a tail

Sxereturn closest so far, very close ,but its not australian, non ven too. PROPER NAME PLEASE. Same snake hatchy and head shot
hatchy.jpg

hatchy_headshot.jpg

stumps me :cry: where is kevyn when ya need him???

nope. ............clue: likes very high humidity. :D most funive had in while. God id love one of these. sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back