What kind of Bearded Dragon do we have?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi and thx for the replies so far.

The closest spot to the heat lamp is approx 43 degrees, the basking spot on the rocks 39-40deg.

He/she doesn't enjoy her bath when we try to give bath him.

The poo looks as always: White/Black and solid.

He always preferred woodies over crickets - is it worth to try giving crickets?

Attached 3 more pics - maybe better for identification? Cheers

Temps look ok, what is the temp at the cooler end of his tank? And yes, I would try the crickets. As Beans said above, the crickets (or woodies) need to be no bigger than the space between his eyes. One little trick to get him eating his greens is to put the crickets in the food bowl. He will get mouthfuls of vegies catching the crickets. Also try chopped banana and strawberries; they are good for getting beardies to eat salads.

Haha I was sleepy xD And yep... go for bright colourful foods. Strawberries, butternut squash, green beans broccoli.... Just remember, he still might just not want to touch them at all. Do keep offering them though as he will try them eventually :)

Thanks all, very helpful. Will get a batch of crickets and see if he eats... and never give up on those greens. Cheers! Tor

My little dude eats beans and chives but squash is his favourite.

Lol, in what universe is this a Pygmy? The patterns etc dont even closely look like Pogona henrylawsoni. This is 100% a central bearded dragon (Pogona vitticeps) 1st pic is Pygmy and 2nd is Central

Attachments

• 1796500_275436209289112_8399571_n.jpg
    1796500_275436209289112_8399571_n.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 119
  • h1.jpg
    h1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Lol, in what universe is this a Pygmy? The patterns etc dont even closely look like Pogona henrylawsoni. This is 100% a central bearded dragon (Pogona vitticeps) 1st pic is Pygmy and 2nd is Central

- because patterning and lack there-of is 100% sure-fire how modern day Herpatologists determine specific Classifications of reptiles?

- because patterning and lack there-of is 100% sure-fire how modern day Herpatologists determine specific Classifications of reptiles?

No but its a fast way to tell at first glance.

I dont see your point, clearly there is a difference and if you cant tell one from the other at a quick glance, do you even know what you have. It's a lot more than pattering but that is the most obvious apart from physical size.

100% central.
bump up the temps mate. That will make him feed

Thankyou!!
It's a bloody central!!!!!!
Pygmies have a different head shape - they're much rounder and so are their eyes. They also don't have the same colouration that this dragon has, nor that same patterning. The scales on their backs are also much different.
To be perfectly honest, I have no idea how people get Eastern beardies, Central beardies and Pygmy beardies mixed up at any stage in the life on the animal. They are completely different and distinguishable at every single stage. The only way I could understand any confusion about the 'type' of beardie you have is if its a crossbreed, like a central cross an eastern - which is fairly common. Though I've never, ever seen a pygmy cross a central OR an eastern.
Totally different animals.

With his growth problem, try taking the legs off whatever you're feeding him, or try using gents instead, or even feed in a different place, like a plastic storage container with nothing else in it so the food is easy to corner and catch. And up the temps.

Good luck!

The following comments are NOT directed at any one poster. Nor do the comments give recognition for the positive contributions of those posters to whom they may apply. This is a recurrent issue and I do not wish to detract from its importance by including anything additional... my apologies if anyone feels hard done by.

The response that they are "completely different" and the more frequently encountered "they don't look anything alike" does not sit well with me. simply because this is invariable untrue. The reality in this instance is that all species of Pogona look very very similar. They have a multitude of characteristics in common. This does not mean they are identical nor does it mean they cannot be readily distinguished between. To the trained eye, aware of the diagnostic differences and the variations in features, and therefore what to look for, identifying between different species may well be an easy task. To those without that background knowledge, it is anything but clearcut. A good parallel one could draw is evaluating artwork or fine wines or antiquess or any other evaluation task that require a sound knowledge of how to discriminate the nature of items based on their features.

What those in the know need to do is twofold. Firstly, stop telling those who are not knowledge about how blatantly obvious the differences are and making them feel even more stupid then may have felt when they summoned up the courage to post in the first instance. They need to be the truth - it is not obvious until you learn what to look for! Secondly, Those of us who do possess the required knowledge and skills need spell out in clear, simple, accurate and detailed terms the features that one uses to distinguish between the given species. I need to emphasise here that "the patterns are totally different", or something else along those lines, is not only useless to someone who has no idea what the patterns one should look for but it also belittling as it is interpreted as somehing basic and easy that they should already be aware of. And that is not true! Regardless of our current knowledge and understandings, we all started from a position of ignorance. What is required to address this is education and encouragement, definitely NOT put downs.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back