What should i put in this?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maseface

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my almost fully set up tank. Just waiting on some fake plants to arrive for the cool end. Its a 4ft Tank.
I made the rock wall myself and found the drift wood. You cant really see it well, but on the hot end there is a 1.5 inch black granite tile sitting on the ground behind the large piece of wood.
The problem is, now im not sure what to get to put into it.
Originally it was set up for bearded dragon, but not im thinking maybe a monitor. No idea.
Im open to suggestions, what you guys think?

IMG_1066[1].jpgIMG_1067[1].jpg

could look at different geckos? I'm on the look out at the moment for some lizards as well. I first thought of a ridge-tailed monitor but have now been suggested a beardy. I reckon a beardy would look good in there IMO. Whatever you choose we NEED pictures :D

if you can get the basking spot upwards of 60 degrees then an ackie would go alright in there if u added more sand as they like to burrow

if you can get the basking spot upwards of 60 degrees then an ackie would go alright in there if u added more sand as they like to burrow

i think the basking spot is around 40-45 atm the moment. :S

if u chucked a bunch of sand up that corner to raise the tile.. it would get hotter.. and provide a warm burrowing space underneath

if u chucked a bunch of sand up that corner to raise the tile.. it would get hotter.. and provide a warm burrowing space underneath

true, I'm just a bit worried about the strength of the glass though, I don't really want to make it too heavy, the granite itself probably weighs around 15kgs, I'd hate for the bottom to drop out.

and if the monitor digs under the tile it may get trapped and die.

you can use a solid brace to prevent that although I've found it to be unnecessary.. really depending on the soil type you use and how well it holds.. i use bricky's sand and it doesnt collapse at all

true, I'm just a bit worried about the strength of the glass though, I don't really want to make it too heavy, the granite itself probably weighs around 15kgs, I'd hate for the bottom to drop out.

mine are in a 5ft reinforced fish tank so I guess its designed to hold 100's of kilos of water and I have never even given the slightest of thought to the bottom dropping out. Which I guess is a possibility. Instead of building it up with sand you could use anything to get a point up closer under the light.. a branch or whatever you see fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could fit a small child or two in there, easier to raise them in a warmer climate, less crying...

How territorial are geckos?
How many would I be able to safely keep in a 4ft tank?
Are some sp. more communal than others?

thinkin maybe barking geckos? I'd prefer a larger species.

Last edited:
Better check the code of practise and see what your allowed to put in there first

I keep barking geckos. They are unreal. Talk to dickynee on here he breeds them (I got mine from him) he will set you on the right path. If you google underwoodiesarus milli care sheets you will find heaps of info.

Ok so I ended up getting a pair of pygmy dragons, they're both tame as.. Not sure of gender yet, they are both from the same clutch hatched in Feb ( looking to get another 2).
I put a heatrock in, which stays on 24/7, both the lights are on a 13hr timer the basking spot gets to around 34*C. I made the rockwall myself out of Styrofoam and a non toxic waterproofer that has sand and like stones stuck onto it.
they both love running vertically around the wall.
What do you guys think?
i6w94g.jpg

ruywe1.jpg

Pygmees are awesome. I keep 3 in a 3 foot tank. Looks great

Beardies look awesome in there, well done! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back