What size feed for Stimy?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin41

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My Stimson's python is just on 6 months old and is 31cms long. I feed her each Wednesday and for the past few feeds have been giving her 2 pinkys. The other day I went to purchase more and found that these pinkies are about twice the size of the ones I had been feeding. I am sure she would be able to digest the larger pinky, but my only concern is 'can she get it in her mouth without harming her?'
Can someone give me some useful advice so that I am feeding her enough, but hat size pinky is OK for her. I know that it is not so easy without seeing a picture of her and also the large pinky, but any advice would be great. Many thanks.

By six months you should be going for something larger than pinkies anyway. They are capable of swallowing something large enough to harm them, so what they can shove down their throat isn't the limiting factor. Don't feed multiple smaller items for the sake of making it easy for them to get enough feed; the right size will be easy for them to eat.

I work on a rule of thumb, if the food you offer up is a little larger than the snakes tummy around the middle, you will be feeding it right. Snakes need to grow and the size of prey is a way of acheiving that, be careful not to overfeed or this could cause health problems. Stimmies can be fussy eaters from time to time but generally don't over eat, it is important to get the temps right but don't get worried if he doesn't eat for a while especially during the colder months.

Noel

my 7 month stimmy is about 29cm and on fuzzy mice, hes the right size and he´ll strike it and wrap around it while holding it but won´t eat it

Latest posts

Back