what snake is it?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

awen1965

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my first time in a forum so be kind :D I have just come across a small (approx 30cm) black snake under some carboard in my yard. We live on about 1.5 acres in Sth East Qld, I have tried to google snake pics to help determine what sort of snake it is but I am not getting very far. All the pics appear to be of adult snakes and not baby ones and I am making the assumption that they may look different as infants. It was all black with a small but slighly wide head and a pointed tail, it was approx 1.5 - 2cm wide body. I thought it may have been a baby mulga but am not sure. Can anyone help?

cheers,
Karen (awen1965)

reptilesdownunder.com have some great pics and identification tips, most snakes as juveniles look like a miniature adult

If its still about can you take photos of it, sounds like a few different opinions with such a brief description. Was the whole head white or did it have a white crown?

I agree with Jonno and think it sounds like a Eastern Small-eyed Snake Cryptophis nigrescens as they are the most common black coloured snake in this area.I've attached an image of a very young one about the size you described.

Attachments

• Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Elapids_SmallEyedSnake_02.jpg
    Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Elapids_SmallEyedSnake_02.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 132
blue snake

I agree with Jonno and think it sounds like a Eastern Small-eyed Snake Cryptophis nigrescens as they are the most common black coloured snake in this area.I've attached an image of a very young one about the size you described.
nice looking critter

thanks for your suggestion, yes it did look like your pic fucsus but much blacker, will look up eastern small eyed snake and try and get a pic of it.

cheers,
Karen

THanks for your help jonno, it does look like you photo fuscus but much blacker in real life, here it a photo we have just taken of it if it helps. It is only small (looks bigger in pic) 30 - 40cm and black.
14112010115.jpg

I just looked up eastern small eyed snake and the picture look pretty convincing, also the discription and nature of behaviour seemed similar, it was very slow and unfussed by us at all.

thanks for you help
karen

SE2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back