Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Herpo

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I might be moving to Tumut in future, and if we do move, I'll be able to get a new snake. Which one is my question, I'm looking for something different, and olives do impress and interest me. Do you think they would suit me as a second snake? Size isn't an issue, my family is always around and I'd not let it around my neck.

I'm also curious about colurbrids. How are common green tree snakes in captivity? Do they handle well, is their care simple? Any other easy to care for colurbrids?

As of now, I'm leaning towards an olive, and my dad also likes them. But I don't want to jump into the deep end with such a powerful snake, and I want to make sure I know what I'm getting into.

Thanks in advance,
Herpo

Everyone is going to say to get this snake, or that snake. Do your homework, ask lots of questions, and get the snake that YOU really want. Do you want a snake that can be handled? How much room do you have for an enclosure? How much are you wanting to spend? These are three questions to consider.

Preferably I can handle the snake. I've checked with my parents, they said we'll have enough room for an enclosure max of 2m wide. I'm not too sure on price. At the castle hill expo there were some olives for around $150-$200, but I don't know online prices. Only site I know sells them is snake ranch, but price isn't written up there.

I agree with doing the homework, which is why I'm asking. I normally hate homework, but this one I can deal with ;) XD

A second snake what was/is your first? As a olive (fully growen) is a formidable snake to handle,keep and feed... are you looking for a larger snake for "show" reasons? Eg, have your friends around to see a 2+ mtr snake, or is it the look of them? Like others have mentioned make sure you read up on it and have all the requirements ready... my suggestion is a Blk headed python (personally) they grown large(ish) look amazing and from all have ever had handle quite well... good luck...

As a couple people said, you're going to get a lot of different opinions on what snakes would be best to keep or display/handle ect.
However, green tree snakes are, from my experience, not that great to handle. Small and pretty skittish they have a tendency to fly out of your hands or try to wriggle away. As for care it's not overly complicated and they make nice display animals, like a GTP.
Olives generally are for more experienced keepers, mostly due to their size and housing requirements. It's all about research; read care sheets, look at forum threads and watch YouTube videos, look at how they move and handle, watch their body language and temperaments. Find out as much info from keepers and breeders as you can, a care sheet will only tell you so much. As you mentioned they can get huge and very powerful, I don't recommend handling them alone.
Another factor to consider is that a full grown olive would be eating rabbits, and rabbits aren't cheap, around $20 for a small-medium in my area. So that's another thing to consider, big snake needs large food and an enclosure.
As long as the above factors aren't an issue and you have the time and resources, an olive would probably be the better of the two for what you wanted out of a snake, but then again I don't feel they are a 1st, 2nd or even 3rd snake, in all honesty I'd be going with something a little less....large.. another Carpet or Antaresia perhaps. However that's just my opinion, it's up to you at the end of the day. Hope this helped somewhat, good luck with your decision, keep us updated :)

A second snake what was/is your first? As a olive (fully growen) is a formidable snake to handle,keep and feed... are you looking for a larger snake for "show" reasons? Eg, have your friends around to see a 2+ mtr snake, or is it the look of them? Like others have mentioned make sure you read up on it and have all the requirements ready... my suggestion is a Blk headed python (personally) they grown large(ish) look amazing and from all have ever had handle quite well... good luck...

Thank you for all the replies guys! Anyway, I'd like an olive because they're large, but I wouldn't get it just to show off to friends. The snake I have now is a jungle x coastal carpet, but he is only turning 12 months soon. And while I'd like another carpet, the other aussie snakes fascinate me too.

We wouldn't get it as soon as we moved, because, so there'd be time to get everything ready. I had though of BHPs, my second favourite snake by the way, but I'd seen them sell for $1000+ at the expo. Now that I think about it though, those might have been the Axanthics. If you recommend a black head, I'll definitely look into one, any one have first hand experience with them?

As a couple people said, you're going to get a lot of different opinions on what snakes would be best to keep or display/handle ect.
However, green tree snakes are, from my experience, not that great to handle. Small and pretty skittish they have a tendency to fly out of your hands or try to wriggle away. As for care it's not overly complicated and they make nice display animals, like a GTP.
Olives generally are for more experienced keepers, mostly due to their size and housing requirements. It's all about research; read care sheets, look at forum threads and watch YouTube videos, look at how they move and handle, watch their body language and temperaments. Find out as much info from keepers and breeders as you can, a care sheet will only tell you so much. As you mentioned they can get huge and very powerful, I don't recommend handling them alone.
Another factor to consider is that a full grown olive would be eating rabbits, and rabbits aren't cheap, around $20 for a small-medium in my area. So that's another thing to consider, big snake needs large food and an enclosure.
As long as the above factors aren't an issue and you have the time and resources, an olive would probably be the better of the two for what you wanted out of a snake, but then again I don't feel they are a 1st, 2nd or even 3rd snake, in all honesty I'd be going with something a little less....large.. another Carpet or Antaresia perhaps. However that's just my opinion, it's up to you at the end of the day. Hope this helped somewhat, good luck with your decision, keep us updated :)

Thanks for clearing that up Iguana, no green trees for me I guess. Food does sound expensive now that you sau it. I think I'll look into BHP's like Murph said though.

Thanks everyone for your advice, looking forwards to more,
Herpo

While rabbits are a more expensive food option, you don't feed rabbits as often as you would rats or quails. So that sort of outweighs the cost factor.
They must have been axanthics you saw; BHP's are considerably cheaper than that.
If it's a larger snake you want, get a pure coastal. There is a range of colours and patterns. For pure handleability I'd recommend an MD; one of the most placid snakes around.

Why not get something like a colony of cunninghams, or some monitors? Is a low maintenance animal what your parents are after (i.e a snake) or just any herp?

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe a Roughie?

I'm a big fan of olives just the size and power of the animal is awesome and because of that it will be awhile before I own one, just not confident in my experience atm. So I will slowly work my way to that goal and my next snakes will be either BHP or Woma like others have said they get to a decent length and are quiet a heavy bodied animal, with an intense food response.

I see both olives and green trees as snakes suited to the experienced keeper and at 12 months i would think your not there just yet.

Best of luck with the tough choice

[MENTION=41642]Herpo[/MENTION], i see BHP selling for anywhere from $250 up to $500 these days back when i bred them they fetched $1200+ but like everything the market place is flooded with reptiles now and the prices have come down.. if you decide a BHP is a option, make sure it is feeding on thawed food and ask for a feed and shed record. Check a few breeders in your area out. Research is the key. And make sure the seller is willing to help you after the sale with advice/help... also jump on the forums mate they are a get place for info

Thanks you everyone, I'm doing my research on either a BHP or a Woma. It's a tough choice.

I'm glad I asked. While I know frequency of feeding would decrease with rabbits, I also don't know how available such a large frozen prey item would be.
[MENTION=41799]BredliFreak[/MENTION], roughies are awesome, but they are class 2 reptiles here in NSW, so I can't have them yet.
[MENTION=38465]pinefamily[/MENTION], I love coastals and Morelia in general, but I'm looking for something different right now. Rest assured however, that a nice Pure Coastal is on my future want list.

Thank you all, I shall now continue my research! Onwards!

And of course, as I say I want an asphidites, I see this beautiful Wenlock River Coastal! Gahhhh!

- - - Updated - - -

It actually just says Wenlock River Carpets. Am I allowed to post a link?

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=38465]pinefamily[/MENTION], pretty funny actually, the more research I do, the more I want to either get a coastal or bredli. So many choices!

Bredli can be one of two extremes. Our first bredli was one of the calmest snakes we've had; school visits, the lot. The second one we got was the spawn of Satan, an absolute she-*****. And I've heard similar stories from others as well.

Kellyville Pets, where we got Popeye, has then and let you handle the snake, so I'd be able to make sure its handleable.

Here's one.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 423639-120x90.jpg
    423639-120x90.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 600
Seeing you are moving to Tumit and it is so bloody cold down there why not look at a nice Southern Diamond. :) ............Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back