What spider's this?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

llasher

Reaction score
In my many years living in the same house in metro Melb and don't think I have never seen this one. Looks like a daddy long legs on steroids in brown velour. Quite impressive size: about 2cm body length. Can anyone identify this one? :?

Attachments

• brownass.jpg
    brownass.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 65
Yeah i get the exact some spiders around here all the time, one usually hangs out on the hose reel. seems to be a different form than those queensland ones though,
p.s i really hope this symonds catch is out.

Heres my one just hanging out where he has hung out for the last like year.

Attachments

• Image078.jpg
    Image078.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 53
Never seen it do that, didn't even know any spider had this ability till this thread, would be awesome to see though i would think.

Heres my one just hanging out where he has hung out for the last like year.
Looks like the same spide. Weird how you think you know your patch's fauna after 40 years and then mother nature chucks a new one at ya.:D

Net Casting Spider - Family Deinopidae 13 sp in Australia, est 60 worldwide.

Attachments

• net casting spider.jpg
    net casting spider.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 61
its not a net casting spider looks more like an orb spider or maybe some sort of st andrews cross spider

It is a net-caster, Dinopis, also known as ogre-faced spiders. For those who haven't seen the footage of netcasting, several of Densey Clines old docos had some excellent footage of it, and I think Attenborough's "Life in the Undergrowth" had some footage too (but don't quote me on that).

:p

Hix

the st andrews cross spider has more colour to it, like a yellow and black they are also "bumpy" as opposed to the smooth body of this spider... I thought thats what they were many years ago... but yeah i think these guys are right in saying a net casting spider.

cheers matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back