Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris_brown

Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
Hey guys im thinking of getting a second snake ( i have a stimson at the moment and is around 9-10 months old ) not looking for breeding purposes just as a pet. something that grows a bit bigger than the stimsons maybe around 5-6 feet long that doesnt require a HUGE enclosure and that doesnt bite that often anyone have any ideas.. im leaning towards RSP's as i love the way they look etc. even maybe a carpet but i hear they grow pretty big.. and is it easy to build a enclosure cause i bought my one and it was fairly expensive ( i reckon ) cause online u can get much bigger once for half the price?
thanks
chris

You cant go wrong with a bredli..... or a coastal....... an inland?

Be a devil, get an olive or a scrubbie :D

They are all great.... (pythons) I wouldnt know how to choose just one :lol:

Go a brown or tiger snake.
I joke a calm bredli wouldn't be hard to come across plus majority are $200 or less (that's for hypos)

you can basicly go for any carpet just get a placid induvidual :)

For temperament, character and sheer entertainment value, you can't go past a woma. (Although in your case, avoid the South Australian ones as they get big.)

yeah but i wouldnt want it to grow past around 7 feet MAX and carpets generally grow much more.. stupid question but whats the difference between hypo bredlis and normal once? what do you guys reckon of a rough scaled or a diomend?

Diamonds grow big still, I think rough scale stay smaller,

yeah but i wouldnt want it to grow past around 7 feet MAX and carpets generally grow much more.. stupid question but whats the difference between hypo bredlis and normal once? what do you guys reckon of a rough scaled or a diomend?

Hypo is short for hypomelanistic, means they dont have black pigment so you dont get the black edging around the patterns, they are just red/brown and creamy coloured markings. Hypos and normals are both great looking snakes, just comes down to personal preference, or get both!

Bredli pythons get to a decent size though, if you want something placid and not too big theres really no choice other than a woma. You really cant beat them. They are amazing snakes with great personalities.

yeah i really dont like the looks of them tho for some reason :( yeah but bredli's and diamonds have pretty good temperament too tho dont they.im thinking of getting one next week or should i wait for my stimmi to grow up a bit and then get another. what do u guys reckon?

I recommend a Woma, they grow to about 1.5m depending on local and they seem to be pretty popular.
Bredli's grow quite large so will need a decent enclosure. They have an awesome temperament though :D

A Coastal Carpet is also a great snake.
As Murray (Captain Ratbag) said, how can you choose just one more? :p

- - - Updated - - -

In terms of when you should get another one.
If you have the money, got the enclosure and temps all set up, then get one.
If not, wait a bit and get some more experience with your Stimmie.

Depends on if you like the smaller species or larger..personally i would choose a BHP or Woma or even a Diamond,no-one can choose for you and depends on how much you wanna spend...What size-colour-price etc the bottom line its ur choice...

I'd say go a woma, RSP or bredli. remember though that you will require an advanced licence for both the woma and RSP as you live in Victoria (if you don't already have one) but that's just a case of paying a bit more money which IMO is worth it coz I love RSP's and Womas.
All are great size and good handlers so whatever takes your fancy really.

If ur current enclosure is a fair size then find a snake thats already around the same size and see if they will live together. I had a 6 month coastal for 2 months then added a 7 month jungle python, slighlty fatter, to the enclosure and had no problems. There best friends now. I reckon try a jungle. There a beautiful snake.

If you like the diamonds get one they are great snakes, mine were always placid never struck at me,

The four that you are leaning towards, all are great snakes, it depends on what you find to be a "sexy" snake. Diamonds are great, there is a difference in husbandry though. Bredli, Darwins and RSP's all are awesome snakes and look great, same as Diamonds, all of the four you have chosen though would need a higher enclosure so make sure that is accounted for as well.

Good choice in snakes though.

yeh thats the thing enclosure is gonna cost a fair bit thats what im worried about i have looked into making my own one but dont have much spare time at the moment... so im thinking save up buy a enclosure.. so cuz its still like 7 months old i might leave him in the click clack i got with my stimmie i put the stimmie in the enclosure after a couple of weeks felt like it didnt have enough room to move around... i thought he was stressed but i put food in front of him a day after i put him in the enclosure and didnt think twice just leaped at it. do u guys know where i can get a cheap enclosure that will last one of there life times thats what i did with the stimmie...PM ME :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back