What's it like to own a Green Tree Python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Adam-

Reaction score
I'm guessing people own snakes for different reasons. I'm the sort of interactive type of guy, so while I think Green Tree Pythons are very pretty - I'm guessing there's very little interaction with them (apart from feeding time)?

Do people who own GTP see much action with these creatures, or is the incentive more for having a beautiful snake sitting hanging up on a perch?

Also - are they more challenging than other snakes and better off left to someone with a number of snakes and years experience, or are they OK to own because they're not a snake that you interact with much?

I've interacted with my Chondros almost as much as with my other snakes (which is slightly more than nothing).

If you want something to physically interact with, I highly recommend a dog or a girlfriend and definitely not a snake, but if for whatever reason you want a snake to physically interact with, a Chondro is not a good option.

Yes, they are more challenging than other snakes, they are more prone to dropping dead (even in the hands of experts with decades of experience working with Chondros), and much more sensitive to imperfections in their environment, and their environmental requirements are much more specific than most pythons, and significantly more difficult to provide. It certainly can be done and once you know what you're doing it's not that difficult, but even then you have to make sure it's spot on. They're very cool snakes with their own beauty and appeal, but definitely not something I'd suggest for a beginner.

I've interacted with my Chondros almost as much as with my other snakes (which is slightly more than nothing).

If you want something to physically interact with, I highly recommend a dog or a girlfriend and definitely not a snake, but if for whatever reason you want a snake to physically interact with, a Chondro is not a good option.

Yes, they are more challenging than other snakes, they are more prone to dropping dead (even in the hands of experts with decades of experience working with Chondros), and much more sensitive to imperfections in their environment, and their environmental requirements are much more specific than most pythons, and significantly more difficult to provide. It certainly can be done and once you know what you're doing it's not that difficult, but even then you have to make sure it's spot on. They're very cool snakes with their own beauty and appeal, but definitely not something I'd suggest for a beginner.

Wow - thanks Sdaji - I had no idea they were that sensitive - especially prone to dropping dead - even in the hands of experts. That's a good wake up call. Thank you! Definitely sounds like they're not a snake for the inexperienced!

They Are beautiful pythons. They look amazing in an all out no expense spared enclosure but at the end of the day they do very little and the little they do seems to be at night when i was never around.
In saying that along with roughies they are still my favorite Morelia sp. Definitely a species to aim to build your husbandry skills up to one day.

Latest posts

Back