What's this then?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greebo

Snakologist
Reaction score
Here is another pic of a lizard form Alice Springs. Rather attactive looking dragon, anyone know what it is exactly?

RE: What

Hmm Amphibolurus longirostris and Amphibolurus gilbertis (Swan and Wilson use this name Browns ) occur around Alice and look simular. I'll now go 50/50 on either species maybe tending to a male A. gilbertis because of the thickness of the white stripe

there are captive A. gilbertis populations. I think they are also called ta-ta dragons, I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

That's true :) L. longistrosis are also called tata lizards, I don't think there are as many in captivity though. Very nice lizards :) It will be interesting to see what they come up with when the gilberti complex is sorted out (if it happens within my lifetime).

According to the list for NSW based on last April's returns, three people hold 4 gilberti, and two people have 7 longirostris.

:p

Hix

According to the list for NSW based on last April's returns, three people hold 4 gilberti, and two people have 7 longirostris

There's a heck of a lot more than four gilberti in Victoria.

Whats this then?

Fuscus, are they also called Bicycle Lizards as well ???

Cheers

RE: Re: Whats this then?

I have been trying to find out what class these dragons are in NSW.
I can not find them. The closest I have found is the long snouted lash tail....is that them?

Re: RE: Re: Whats this then?

Greebo said:
I have been trying to find out what class these dragons are in NSW.
I can not find them. The closest I have found is the long snouted lash tail....is that them?

Think so Lophognathus appears to be the older name for Amphibolurus,

for the complete list for NSW go here

go here http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/npws.nsf/content/reptile+keepers+licence
then click on Complete outline of the NSW reptile licensing system

Greebo
We will be offering hatchlings shortly.

Cheers Adrian
Hello Adrian, I sent you a pm a couple of days ago..maybe your pm function doesnt work or something....How much will you be selling the Long-nose Water Dragons for? I guess they are a common dragon if they are running around peoples backyards. Are they similarly priced to Eastern Water Dragons?

Hi there Greebo
We get awful problems with our computer here and our speed is only 19 to 26 kps thanks to Telstra. Having said that we did get your message and I was just being lazy so I do apologise. As for a price we are still working it out but these particular reptiles are royalty exempt because they are offspring from a wild caught gravid female. We would probably be looking at the $200 mark. Also do not think that these reptile are like water dragons as these ones found here spend most of there year living in the desert around completely dried up creeks. We find them semi aboreal and often basking on the top of high gates etc. If I knew how to post pictures up I would.
Cheers Dave

Think so Lophognathus appears to be the older name for Amphibolurus,

Amphibolurus was created in 1830, 12 years before Lophognathus. I think the first species to be placed in Lophognathus was gilberti (I may be wrong). Most didn't recognise the genus until fairly recently; many Australian dragons, including things like bearded dragons and all Ctenophorus species were included in Amphibolurus in the 80's and some books still had it this way in the 90's. Interestingly, at that time, the three Lophognathus species (including gilberti!) were included in Physignathus (the one that eastern water dragons are in).

For some strange reason I've become disturbingly interested in history over the past couple of years, much to my suprise. Yes, I'm a nerd. If I have some of this wrong and someone notices, please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back