What's wrong with my snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snek_Kid

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I was cleaning my jungle python the other day and I noticed that he has some red scales and sores on his neck and was wondering whether I should take him to the vet or not. He's not acting any different but I'm still worried. Does anyone know what it might be and what should I do?

Attachments

• hurt snek 1.jpg
    hurt snek 1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1
  • hurt snek 2.jpg
    hurt snek 2.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 0
  • h.jpg
    h.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 0
Looks like scale rot tbh. Most likely due to the enclosure being too damp, or contaminated substrate. Deep clean the enclosure, replace the substrate.

Try these to treat the scale rot;

1) Betadine Bath, twice a day for 15-20 minutes until it goes away, room temperature water, neither warm or cold.
2) Antibiotic Cream, there's a few antibiotic ointments you can use e.g., polysporin or neosporin.

I'm also not a professional so i might be wrong, defo try the betadine bath but if it seems to worsen or not go away take him to a vet đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Hope I could help!!

It could be scale rot, it also could be a burn. A betadine bath would help with either of those. If you decide to use antibiotic cream, you have to make sure that there are absolutely zero painkillers in it, the only active ingredient should be the antibiotic itself.
If you go to a vet, you need to make sure that it is a *reptile* vet. Regular vets often don't have the experience or knowledge to properly treat a snake, and can sometimes make the situation worse. The Unusual Pet Vets are good.

I hope your snake is feeling better!

Latest posts

Back