When should I upgrade my tank?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarlosTheSnake

Reaction score
Hey guys :)
My 9 month old stimsons is now about 33cm long and has been smashing food lately, but im not sure as to when I should move him into a new tank? I was thinking a Reptile One 450HT or a custom 2x4 foot melamine tank? Honestly i have no idea when or what do do lol

Once he starts to get around twice the length of his previous tank, that's when you move him up. A reptile One 450HT will be fine. A custom 2x4 foot melamine will probably be a bit more expensive and is a lot more spacious than you need, however it will hold heat better than the 450HT will and Carlos will definitely utilize the extra space so if you don't mind the extra cost it will probably turn out to be a better option long-term. That said, the 450 will work fine as well, only won't hold heat as good as the 4ft.
What I would do, if you have the option, is get a 3ft melamine (which is what I use) that way you aren't paying too much for extra space and you still have ample room for Carlos and even a female if you ever wanted to breed ;) .

Cheers,
Josiah.

Once he starts to get around twice the length of his previous tank, that's when you move him up. A reptile One 450HT will be fine. A custom 2x4 foot melamine will probably be a bit more expensive and is a lot more spacious than you need, however it will hold heat better than the 450HT will and Carlos will definitely utilize the extra space so if you don't mind the extra cost it will probably turn out to be a better option long-term. That said, the 450 will work fine as well, only won't hold heat as good as the 4ft.
What I would do, if you have the option, is get a 3ft melamine (which is what I use) that way you aren't paying too much for extra space and you still have ample room for Carlos and even a female if you ever wanted to breed ;) .

Cheers,
Josiah.
ok. his current enclosure is the reptileone T2 which is 20x30x16cm so ill upgrade his tank when he's about 60cm? any idea how long it will take for him to get that big?

He should be around 1.5-2 years old when he reaches 60cm depending on how often you feed him. Different snakes have grow at different rates but I'd say he should definitely be 60cm before he reaches 2 years old ;)
Yes, upgrade him at 50-60cm in length.

Back