when to start feeding again?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iguana

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I was wondering when brumation 'ends' and I start feeding my pythons again?

It's their first year of brumation and i've been reading a couple different times for when it should end. Some say start of September, others say mid, or even October.
It's pretty cold here in Melbourne (average 13-14 degrees) but I understand that the local environments of the pythons would be warmer. I've already increased daylight a bit, and heat (diamond python now on 3 hours) but should I ramp it up to replicate the natural conditions?
The pythons in question are a Jungle and Diamond if that helps, from my understanding brumation for Diamonds is longer?

Just want to make sure of dates before I start feeding again,

I'm having a similar issue!

I had to pull my snakes out all a bit early (mid Aug) as one started to show mild symptoms of RI, and since they're all in close proximity to one another (and all have low functioning immune systems as they are brumating), I thought it best to just run them all on 24/7 heat just in case.

Bad news was that the snake in questions 'roomate' also started showing symptoms (their cages are next to one another).
Good news is they're both better now.
The Stimmie hadn't eaten in 6 months, and I saw him crusing around so I thought why the heck not so I offered him a rat. He's already smashed through 3 more meals (every 5 days, smaller than what he used to get) and it set to get another meal in the next day or so.
Woma has had two meals (she's a pig, second she smelled the rat I was feeding the other snake she was striking the glass, so I took it as a good indication she would eat!).
Diamond hasn't eaten yet despite being offered on three occasions but was showing good interest. He is kept in a cooler part of the house and not on 24/7 heat so he might just be taking a bit longer to wake up.

Wild diamonds in my area are starting to move around again so I would expect him to start moving around again (check). The only thing I can think of is given that he is a male, I suspect he might be in a more 'find a girl' mode than eating mode. From what I'm aware, they don't have a huge window of opportunity and they're always worried about competition, so he might be thinking 'girls' before 'rats' xD

Thanks heaps guys :)

@Buggster Sorry to hear about the RI, I was worried about that with my guys too, glad to hear they're better now :)
Sounds like your diamond is at the same stage as mine, he's still looking for a lady haha.

@Pauls_Pythons Thanks :) I'll give them a couple more weeks and raise the temps meanwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back