When to upsize enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mack86

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I think I already know the answer on this one but was wondering when is a good age/size to upgrade enclosure?

Currently I have a 6 month old Stimmy in a small container but when stretched out he is as long as the enclosure (30cm). I'm so keen to see him in his big enclosure...

I've heard to move them at 12 months and I'm happy to do so especially considering our start was a little rocky with trying to stabilise temps/get him to eat and he is still not keen on eating (been 18 days since having a fuzzy)He also had a messy shed as well. So in short I don't want to stress him. He's not huge either, so I don't want to lose him through any small gaps. I'll attach a pic of him.

Thanks guysPXL_20220720_030210565.PORTRAIT.jpg

If you're having a rocky start, don't be in a hurry to change for the worse, especially during winter. Snakes are perfectly fine in an enclosure about half their length, and baby snakes in particular do better in smaller enclosures. Get the snake feeding before thinking about enclosure size increases.

Increase the enclosure based on snake size, not snake age.

Keep in mind that it's winter and it's perfectly normal for the snake not to be eating. They're seasonal animals and winter is the quiet/dormant season.

If you're having a rocky start, don't be in a hurry to change for the worse, especially during winter. Snakes are perfectly fine in an enclosure about half their length, and baby snakes in particular do better in smaller enclosures. Get the snake feeding before thinking about enclosure size increases.

Increase the enclosure based on snake size, not snake age.

Keep in mind that it's winter and it's perfectly normal for the snake not to be eating. They're seasonal animals and winter is the quiet/dormant season.
Thanks Sdaji,
It's taken me a lot to get my head around the infrequent eating but as you say it is winter and he is looking okay so trying not to stress.

What you say does make sense with regards to size and not age so I will take your advice and keep him in his little safe house until he starts putting on some size so more than likely somewhere around or after 12 month mark.

Thanks for your help

My stimi is the same size as yours and I’ll be moving her into a 14l sistema next when she outgrows the 9l. Def after winter. They are so small that a bigger enclosure, even a 45x x45 would be too big. Any smaller would not be worth spending money on if you don’t already have something. It’s a patience game as these guys don’t get big in a hurry.

Attachments

• F9791E86-D6D6-4169-AC83-39B1C2B27A27.jpeg
    F9791E86-D6D6-4169-AC83-39B1C2B27A27.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • 6D128A34-0444-42D8-9013-D8AAFFCCA618.jpeg
    6D128A34-0444-42D8-9013-D8AAFFCCA618.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
My stimi is the same size as yours and I’ll be moving her into a 14l sistema next when she outgrows the 9l. Def after winter. They are so small that a bigger enclosure, even a 45x x45 would be too big. Any smaller would not be worth spending money on if you don’t already have something. It’s a patience game as these guys don’t get big in a hurry.
Suchhh a patience game hey. I didn't know they are slow growing so thanks for that. I've often looked at snakes only a few months older than mine (but in different species) and thought wow they are so much bigger than mine. Yours is definitely the same size as mine. How old is she? How do you gage when they outgrow the containers? Just when they look pretty big in it with not too much space to move around in?

Suchhh a patience game hey. I didn't know they are slow growing so thanks for that. I've often looked at snakes only a few months older than mine (but in different species) and thought wow they are so much bigger than mine. Yours is definitely the same size as mine. How old is she? How do you gage when they outgrow the containers? Just when they look pretty big in it with not too much space to move around in?

Only slow due to small size. The more you feed the bigger it will get anyway. Mine is 6 months. My BHP grew to 1.5m in a year. So just depends on type of snake. As far as size goes. For me it’s just the length + height. If they are bigger then that I move them. But as it’s winter. I’m in no rush. They don’t need much and keeping them comfortable and warm is a higher priority then them having a visual tank. I’m lucky I have a few snakes now so I can move them into the next one as they outgrow the old one. It’s all good fun anyway. All different characters.

Latest posts

Back