Where do people get their live feeder insects from?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laefiren

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into bulk buying insects as my tree frogs are very avid eaters right now as babies. I've found a couple of places online but I would love to know what other people use and trust.

Breed your own. It's obviously cheaper and if you get good at it you'll spend less time on it than it takes to go to the shop and buy them.

Breed your own. It's obviously cheaper and if you get good at it you'll spend less time on it than it takes to go to the shop and buy them.
I’d like to eventually. But currently we do not have room for a set up like that. Unless I can put it in the shed but I don’t think that would be all that hygienic. But in future it’s definitely something I would like to look into.

A colony of woodies sufficient to feed a fair number of tree frogs would take up little more space than the tubs you'll be buying your insects in. About 15-20 years ago when I was very limited on space I kept a collection of over 100 lizards plus a few frogs, carnivorous insects and other critters fed using insect colonies which took up a total of about 50 litres, and I had enough leftovers that I used to sell them and make money on the side. Back then I was using 9 litre Quadrant containers for my woody colonies and maintained about five at a time.

Maintenance was approximately 10 minutes per week other than cleaning out the colonies once or twice per year (literally less time than it would take to go buy them) and the cost was around $2 per week, mostly in carrots (it may be closer to $5 these days, but that's enough to feed over a hundred animals). The excess I sold was several hundred dollars per year, plus I used to supply a couple of friends for free.

They're super productive, easy, cheap, take up almost no space (comparable to the tubs you buy from the store anyway), I never understood why anyone bought them, and was always boggled at how much people would pay me for them. Before I realised I could sell them for $100/kg I literally used to freeze the excess and put them on the compost heap. I must have put over a grand worth into the garden before making that realisation, haha!

A colony of woodies sufficient to feed a fair number of tree frogs would take up little more space than the tubs you'll be buying your insects in. About 15-20 years ago when I was very limited on space I kept a collection of over 100 lizards plus a few frogs, carnivorous insects and other critters fed using insect colonies which took up a total of about 50 litres, and I had enough leftovers that I used to sell them and make money on the side. Back then I was using 9 litre Quadrant containers for my woody colonies and maintained about five at a time.

Maintenance was approximately 10 minutes per week other than cleaning out the colonies once or twice per year (literally less time than it would take to go buy them) and the cost was around $2 per week, mostly in carrots (it may be closer to $5 these days, but that's enough to feed over a hundred animals). The excess I sold was several hundred dollars per year, plus I used to supply a couple of friends for free.

They're super productive, easy, cheap, take up almost no space (comparable to the tubs you buy from the store anyway), I never understood why anyone bought them, and was always boggled at how much people would pay me for them. Before I realised I could sell them for $100/kg I literally used to freeze the excess and put them on the compost heap. I must have put over a grand worth into the garden before making that realisation, haha!
Huh damn. I’m currently keeping woodies in a fish tank with Vaseline around the rim. The crickets are in one of those Exoterra containers with the pull out tubes. Considering how much they eat it would definitely be cheaper to do my own colony. Personally I prefer the crickets over woodies though.

As I have more than 20 adult dragons from 7 species (plus babies when it's the season ) I breed my own woodies and superworms. I won't breed crickets as they are too noisy and smelly so I buy them from biosupplies. I am a self employed truckie so don't have lots of free time.

As I have more than 20 adult dragons from 7 species (plus babies when it's the season ) I breed my own woodies and superworms. I won't breed crickets as they are too noisy and smelly so I buy them from biosupplies. I am a self employed truckie so don't have lots of free time.
Did you know that crickets are actually losing the ability to produce that sound they’re known for. The ones who do make the noise are getting eaten by other animals so the ones who can’t because they have different shaped wings are surviving more. I just don’t like woodies because they’re escape artists. I’ve tried my frogs on fly larvae and things before and they’re not a fan (possibly because they don’t move as much and they seem to really enjoy chasing their food)

I'm keen to learn to breed woodies, but unfortunately I've not been able to even buy any for 6 months (COVID related? Or just Perth? so it's hard to even get a few to get my own colony going. I hate crickets - they stink and they're noisy. I've been breeding silkworms and it's a bit hit and miss given they're quite seasonal. I had a HUGE amount last season and put the eggs in the fridge, then bringing out 30 or so at a time to try to give myself enough to feed my two frogs. I still need to supplement with bought crickets and it's getting expensive and annoying to the point where I'm considering giving up the frogs.

Any more tips on breeding woodies?? (And given they're the ONE thing I used to be terrified of, I'm finding this oddly exciting! Ha!)

I'm keen to learn to breed woodies, but unfortunately I've not been able to even buy any for 6 months (COVID related? Or just Perth? so it's hard to even get a few to get my own colony going. I hate crickets - they stink and they're noisy. I've been breeding silkworms and it's a bit hit and miss given they're quite seasonal. I had a HUGE amount last season and put the eggs in the fridge, then bringing out 30 or so at a time to try to give myself enough to feed my two frogs. I still need to supplement with bought crickets and it's getting expensive and annoying to the point where I'm considering giving up the frogs.

Any more tips on breeding woodies?? (And given they're the ONE thing I used to be terrified of, I'm finding this oddly exciting! Ha!)
Please tell me how you got over it. The skittering noise they make and the smell I just can’t. And they’re so FAST. My frogs are so fussy they pretty much so far have only eaten woodies or crickets. They spit other things out or ignore them.

I brought a product called “fluon” and painted the walls in a 50 litre snap lock tub.
Used a soldering iron to melt air holes
And I cut a section of the lid off and replaced it with fine leaf guard mesh for your gutters on your roof, using the soldering iron again I melted the mesh into the lid and that holds it in place.
I used coco fibre as substrate.
Then I purchased 2-3 large woodie containers from the pet shop, dumped them in there.
I spray inside the container lightly once a week and throw diced carrots in there once or twice a week depending on how much time I have.
And that’s about it.

Also on a side note I was speaking to the guy from the pet shop, he told me the facility of peices I think that’s how you spell it, the supplier of the woodies and crickets caught fire and the woodies section burnt down. Hence why it’s so hard to get ahold of any these days.
I happened to find 1 container on the weekend at pet barn in my area, and I brought it just to top up the colony a bit.

Also woodies are pretty hardy and resilient,
I neglected them for a few weeks due to not having any spare time etc… when I checked them they were still going strong.
That fluon product I purchased from pet wave if I remember correctly, and you have to re apply it every couple of months, so it’s a good idea to have a back up container to switch them into while you clean and re-coat.
but vasoline is a viable alternative. I personally think it’s a bit messy though and only use it as a last resort if I don’t have time to re-coat the tub.

Attachments

• 4BC2F3C5-5DC7-493C-879A-ACE1A84DF37A.jpeg
    4BC2F3C5-5DC7-493C-879A-ACE1A84DF37A.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 16
  • 76F15B68-07C6-479A-B3CC-FBC2952B6602.jpeg
    76F15B68-07C6-479A-B3CC-FBC2952B6602.jpeg
    330.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 0B0D4564-06A3-4D5C-A825-541A3F906803.jpeg
    0B0D4564-06A3-4D5C-A825-541A3F906803.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 16
Please tell me how you got over it. The skittering noise they make and the smell I just can’t. And they’re so FAST. My frogs are so fussy they pretty much so far have only eaten woodies or crickets. They spit other things out or ignore them.
The smell of crickets and woodies are about the same. It's just the crickets JUMP and I've lost so many in the house, then they will chirp all &$#@ night and I end up resorting to spray to kill them so I can sleep. Given all my reptiles and fish, that isn't something I want to do very often. So, woodies are a lesser of evils. Plus they just live so long...and my life is all about compromising for an easy life right now!

I brought a product called “fluon” and painted the walls in a 50 litre snap lock tub.
And I cut a section of the lid off and replaced it with fine leaf guard mesh for your gutters on your roof, using the soldering iron again I melted the mesh into the lid and that holds it in place.
Then I purchased 2-3 large woodie containers from the pet shop, dumped them in there.
I spray inside the container lightly once a week and throw diced carrots in there once or twice a week depending on how much time I have.
And that’s about it.

Also on a side note I was speaking to the guy from the pet shop, he told me the facility of peices I think that’s how you spell it, the supplier of the woodies and crickets caught fire and the woodies section burnt down. Hence why it’s so hard to get ahold of any these days.
I happened to find 1 container on the weekend at pet barn in my area, and I brought it just to top up the colony a bit.
That's an amazing set up! So you just melt the mesh into the lid? I have a soldering iron and substrate, so all I need are the bins and mesh. I always wondered about how to keep the little guys in - my insect containers all have mesh, but still those tiny woodies escape. I'll find myself some fluon!

So there is an Aussie wide shortage of woodies? Or just WA? I've asked the petshop folks, but they have no idea. I'll see if I can get some from somewhere. Would it matter if I started with wild ones?!!

a friend of mine who runs Briansworms.com usually sells the best woodies but he recently had a hernia op. so he isn't currently selling any . Contact him and he might be able to help you out with a small number. Woodies are easy to keep, I have mine in a 50l tub, fluon around the top for 50mm or so. Cut a section out of the lid and replace with metal fly screen not plastic as they can chew through it . Egg cartons on their side so the frass (woodie poop) falls down. Dry dog biscuits or any other dry scraps plus a little bit of wet food (carrots, apple cores,pumpkin peels etc.) Be careful not to give too much wet food as it kills them. But basically once you set them up you will have them for life. One tip; have a spare tub and swap them over now and then into the clean tub otherwise they build up a huge pile of frass. Brian also sells fluon

And that’s about it.

you pretty much have it nailed down, a couple of tips though;
you don't need air holes if you have the mesh in the lid, babies can escape through the holes
You don't need substrate
put some egg cartons on their side so the frass falls down
don't spray them, too much moisture kills them, yes carrots, apple cores ,pumpkin peels etc. are good, just not too much. dry food like dog biscuits are great, stale bread can do too

Last edited:
you pretty much have it nailed down, a couple of tips though;
you don't need air holes if you have the mesh in the lid, babies can escape through the holes
You don't need substrate
put some egg cartons on their side so the frass falls down
don't spray them, too much moisture kills them, yes carrots, apple cores ,pumpkin peels etc. are good, just not too much. dry food like dog biscuits are great, stale bread can do too
Thanks for the heads up!
I originally set it up for crickets and the mesh was an after thought to make it work for the woodies.

The smell of crickets and woodies are about the same. It's just the crickets JUMP and I've lost so many in the house, then they will chirp all &$#@ night and I end up resorting to spray to kill them so I can sleep. Given all my reptiles and fish, that isn't something I want to do very often. So, woodies are a lesser of evils. Plus they just live so long...and my life is all about compromising for an easy life right now!

That's an amazing set up! So you just melt the mesh into the lid? I have a soldering iron and substrate, so all I need are the bins and mesh. I always wondered about how to keep the little guys in - my insect containers all have mesh, but still those tiny woodies escape. I'll find myself some fluon!

So there is an Aussie wide shortage of woodies? Or just WA? I've asked the petshop folks, but they have no idea. I'll see if I can get some from somewhere. Would it matter if I started with wild ones?!!
Yeah just melt the mesh into the lid, make sure it’s the metal mesh like dragonlover said.
I use the same tub set up for crickets just without the fluon and the mesh lid.
I’m in NSW and we have a shortage over here also so I’m assuming it’s Australia wide.
There would definitely be some smaller bug breeders somewhere that would sell them though so just have a look around I’m sure you will find some.

Yeah just melt the mesh into the lid, make sure it’s the metal mesh like dragonlover said.
I use the same tub set up for crickets just without the fluon and the mesh lid.
I’m in NSW and we have a shortage over here also so I’m assuming it’s Australia wide.
There would definitely be some smaller bug breeders somewhere that would sell them though so just have a look around I’m sure you will find some.
there has been a shortage for some time, 1 big breeder had a fire which destroyed the entire setup. Brian has had trouble getting in enough supplies to keep his customers happy since his facility also burnt down . In NSW you could try biosupplies.net.au I buy my crickets from them and they advertise woodies

Crickets take so long to grow out to the size I need, I would need like 5 colonies going at once to sustain my lizards, that’s why I breed meal worms and woodies also so I can vary their diet and give the crickets time to grow.
A few pointers on breeding crickets would be handy if anyone has any?

Latest posts

Back