Which dragon(s?) from southern Eyre Peninsula?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John_Sullivan

Reaction score
In late October I saw a number of dragons in southern Eyre Peninsula whose identity isn't clear to me. The first two pictured were in Kellidie Bay Conservation Reserve (by Coffin Bay, west coast of peninsula). The latter two were in Lincoln National Park (east coast of peninsula, but not too far away). All were small, around 6cm SVL. All were on the ground, in areas with many loose rocks, and when spooked would run very quickly to and fro until they found a rock to scramble beneath. When uncovered they would often have their tails tightly curled. The third one is so fat that it looks gravid, but maybe it's just fat. I saw the pictured individuals and a few more; all were about the same size.

My best guess is that they are all young Peninsula Dragons (Ctenophorus fionni). But I'm not confident, because the only other Ctenophorus fionni I saw (elsewhere on the Eyre Peninsula) were much larger and differently colored, apparently preferred different habitat, and exhibited different behaviors. But I don't know of any other good candidates. Does anyone know more?

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 15102710PD_dragon.jpg
    15102710PD_dragon.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 366
  • 15102708PD_dragon.jpg
    15102708PD_dragon.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 352
  • 15102808PD_dragon.jpg
    15102808PD_dragon.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 345
  • 15102810PD_dragon.jpg
    15102810PD_dragon.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 354
Not much of an expert, but I would say some of those might be Ctenophorus pictus juveniles? Fionni and Pictus seem closest to these, judging by the patterning and location. Great shots mate!

Bredli

Thanks Bredli. I was wondering about pictus, which is also in the area. I didn't see any (that I identified) on my trip, and I couldn't find any photos online of pictus that looked particularly like these. But on the other hand I couldn't find any photos online of fionni that looked particularly like these either.

I think your your correct in saying they are fionni, they don't really look like pictus to me.

I'm back to leaning towards pictus. Male pictus and even many females seem to be significantly more colorful and more strongly patterned, but the pattern of especially the first photo seems quite similar to some photos of female pictus that I've now dug up, including one in "Australia's Reptiles" by Wilson & Knowles, and another here: http://www.ellura.info/Reptile/Dragon/DSC00437E-Painted-Dragon-Ctenophorus-pictus.html . I suspect the first three are females and the fourth one is a male, who will have a stronger pattern with bright yellow spots/patches once it finishes shedding its skin.

Also, pictus have rounder, less flattened heads than fionni, and I think these guys have heads on the rounder side (though admittedly that could be because they are young). pictus are also smaller, and have longer tails, and ground-dwelling, all of which seem to match these guys.

I'm certainly no expert so I'd love to hear more opinions.

John

I learned from Dan Hoops elsewhere that the fionni in the Pt. Lincoln area are smaller and have somewhat different proportions from the central population. This explains the most obvious differences I noticed between these and the ones I saw in the Gawler Ranges. He also explained several other reasons why he is certain that these are C. fionni, and he definitely convinced me. Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

@John-Sullivan, you are right in that it gets down to either C. fionni or pictus. Both species are highly variable, with C.fionni vary according to where the population is located. Distinguishing between immature specimens on the basis of colour and pattern is even harder, so it is likely to require familiarity with the forms of both species occurring in the given location.

However, C. fionni are rock dragons and C. pictus sand dragons. C. fionni are restricted to rocky areas, basking on rocks and seeking shelter in rock crevices or underneath loose rocks. C. pictus occur on sandy substrates and shelter in shallow burrows usually at the base of a low shrub. So based on behaviour alone I’d have to agree with C. fionni.

It is interesting to note that territorial displays between males in C. pictus can involve tail lashing while in C. fionni it does involve tail coiling.

Last edited:
Thanks for the confirmation Bluetongue1. I'm especially interested to hear that the tail coiling is a known behavior of C. fionni.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back