Which Habistat thermostat is better

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptinate

Reaction score
Hey,

Just wanted some opinions on thermostats. I just bought a normal day/night dimming Habistat thermostat, but I just found digital day/night dimming Habistat ones with light control too. Has anyone used the digital Habistat ones? Which is best out of these two?

Also, if I stay with the Habistat one I just bought is it okay to set it up like this. Main thermostat cord plugged into the wall with the other cord connected to the powerboard with the heat lights. Then have the cord that controls the night temp connected to a timer, which will be plugged into another powerboard along with the lights, also plugged into a timer?

Power socket 1 > thermo > powerboard > heat lights.
Power socket 2 > second powerboard > two timers > lights in one and cord for thermo night control in other timer.

Hope that's not confusing. One reason why I'm not sure if it'd be better to go with the digital one with light control.

Thanks

No that's not confusing..... :/ Lol, from what I understand to get different day/night temps with the habistat thermos you need to purchase the "night eye" do you have one?

I have seen the new habistat digital ones that are available, they look very similar to the "JET" series thermos available on eBay and to the "EcoTech" thermos which are a re-badged "JET".. If I am wrong anyone please correct me. I had one of the "EcoTech" ones and the LCD screen lasted 2 weeks before the backlight failed.

No that's not confusing..... :/ Lol, from what I understand to get different day/night temps with the habistat thermos you need to purchase the "night eye" do you have one?

I have seen the new habistat digital ones that are available, they look very similar to the "JET" series thermos available on eBay and to the "EcoTech" thermos which are a re-badged "JET".. If I am wrong anyone please correct me. I had one of the "EcoTech" ones and the LCD screen lasted 2 weeks before the backlight failed.

Yep...The Jet/Ecotech are well known for their screen issues. I haver several that are almost unreadable now. They are also known for the thermostat 'locking on' after a globe blows. I have one that has done just that, and after a bit of sussing out here I am not alone. None of my units are over 12 months old and am disappointed with their performance, but then again one has to have realistic expectations when buying cheap chinese electronics.

I too am on the lookout for a better type of thermostat for my needs and am watching threads like this one closely for thoughts.

I have dimming and on/off ecotech.yep the screen has faded on both but its still readable and never had any problems with either

Hi guys just a few words about thermostats I have a Habistat thermostat day/night dimming type for my spotted python which works brilliant with a timer from bunnings .I can set the timer for a day time temperature and a night time temperature very successfully but they are a little expensive at $165. I hope this is of sum help

Dont know if its the same in Australia but the older design Habistats (non digital) come with a 5 year warranty but the digital ones only have a year warranty. Incidentally all the Microclimates including the new digital ones still have a 5 year warranty. For this reason alone i would not buy a Habistat digital and it says something about the confidence Habistat has in its own products.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

Dont know if its the same in Australia but the older design Habistats (non digital) come with a 5 year warranty but the digital ones only have a year warranty. Incidentally all the Microclimates including the new digital ones still have a 5 year warranty. For this reason alone i would not buy a Habistat digital and it says something about the confidence Habistat has in its own products.

Kindest regards

Endeavour

I don't believe the 'Prime' series digital electronic Microclimate thermostats are available in Australia. I have only been able to find the older manual type.

Happy to stand corrected if I am wrong though......but I have not found them when I have been looking for thermostats.

I have tried a few thermostats and settled on habistat a few year ago. I bought some of those digital ones a few weeks ago when they became available in Australia to trial. They're only a few weeks in but seem to be good. I have not seen the prime series in Australia but I would like to trial those as they seem fantastic.

I've never used night eye as I heard cloudy days can be considered night due to the cloud cover but the dimming and pulsating without night eye are great.

I've only heard good things about the habistat thermos, it's just the look of the new digital ones is very similar to the cheaper/nastier JET and EcoTech ones. Could be a coincidence and they are the best thermos in the world Lol, guess someone needs to trial one..

[MENTION=13275]No-two[/MENTION] I have often thought that myself about the night eye style controllers that use LDR's, seems like you would need it to be placed near a window to get accurate day/night cycle. A time clock would be a better option I believe..

I currently have a Microclimate B1 dimming state, I would say it is good not great because there is approx a 1deg difference as to what it is set to and what my thermometer reads, I will see how it goes in the big enclosure with a CHE it is currently in a plastic tub with the probe on the floor and a heat cord.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's help. So not many people have used the digital Habistat ones yet? I bought one of those JET ones a few months ago and the screen has faded quite a bit, and it started making the heat lights flicker sometimes, and then recently it started making a buzzing sound. Won't get them again. No-two, have your Habistat digital ones faded at all yet?

The way I'll set the normal Habistat one up with two powerboards, is that okay? Just want to make sure.

It's a bit annoying having to set up two boards and two timers. If the digital Habistat ones are good I wish I had seen them before I went and bought the normal Habistat one.

Last edited:
I use micro climate thermostats for all my snakes and find the range to be perfect, the best part is that if there is a electrical storm and we get surges through the power lines then all i have to do is replace the internal fuse instead of the entire unit. Pulse proportional is great for your incubators and dimming terrific for the enclosure, i run a night eye model as well and i find they are far superior to any of their competitors units for reliability and temperature stability. I hope this helps.

[MENTION=10624]reptinate[/MENTION] are you able to throw up a pick of the thermo, just can't get my head around how you are going to control the night temps with out the night eye as it states that one is needed for day/night control.

@reptinate are you able to throw up a pick of the thermo, just can't get my head around how you are going to control the night temps with out the night eye as it states that one is needed for day/night control.

Sorry, I forgot to answer you before. You can use the night eye or a timer. I just bought a cheap timer.

Have used both brands for a long time now.Habistats are hands down the most reliable.

Have used both brands for a long time now.Habistats are hands down the most reliable.

Have you tried the digital Habistat ones?

Do you know if using the two powerboards is okay? It probably is but just want to make sure it's safe to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back