Why are reptile enthusiasts in Australia not allowed to keep exotic reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought they were in Queensland but would have to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few reasons,
Foxes, rabbits, cane toads, horses, pigs/ wild boars.
We have learnt not to keep introducing species.
Look at how many my pet xxx has eescaped and that will give you an idea of why we cannot keep them fully contained.

Sorry I was on my phone earlier and the full title didn't come up. I thought you were asking about cunningham skinks and not exotics.

Obviously "exotic reptiles" is a very generalised term & if exotics were allowed into the country, I do foresee a very stringent process as to what can be kept.

I know everyone keeps saying, "look what happened with the cane toads, foxes & rabbits..." but can you honestly see the same threat to our natural fauna when, for example, say the corn snake?
I mean the introduction (on purpose or accidental) of toads, foxes & rabbits were done in an era where environmental impact studies were literally non-existant.
Myths of corn snake populations in the wild has never been proven. I can't see the corn snake competing or being a threat with a diamond or carpet for the same food source...honestly I can see the corn snake becoming part of their diet instead.

It's not going to change so speculating is a waste of time.
See Fuscus post for why it won't change.

I can 100% say that YES a corn snake will threaten our native fauna. They will absolutely compete with food. They may not affect the adult animals, but adult animals were once small and needed small prey to grow.

Indian Palm Squirrels??? why can't exotics reptiles be kept? because we don't have a big enough voice that's why...

Reptile keeping also came along a lot more recently too. They don't want to make the same mistake they did with previous exotic pets such as birds, cats etc.

[h=3]
AARK
AUSTRALIAN ASSOCIATION OF
REPTILE KEEPERS
[/h]

Just a thought

Obviously "exotic reptiles" is a very generalised term & if exotics were allowed into the country, I do foresee a very stringent process as to what can be kept.

I know everyone keeps saying, "look what happened with the cane toads, foxes & rabbits..." but can you honestly see the same threat to our natural fauna when, for example, say the corn snake?
I mean the introduction (on purpose or accidental) of toads, foxes & rabbits were done in an era where environmental impact studies were literally non-existant.
Myths of corn snake populations in the wild has never been proven. I can't see the corn snake competing or being a threat with a diamond or carpet for the same food source...honestly I can see the corn snake becoming part of their diet instead.
You're just talking about corn snakes, think about all the other reptiles of the world and then do a little survey on how you think they would fit in to our ecosystems and then pick and choose which ones wouldn't really cause any harm and come up with a list and set of rules and regulations to be able to keep exotics. Thats pretty much what you're asking the government to do just to keep a few reptile enthusiasts happy. Asian house geckos would be a good example instead of a corn snake.

Its not a myth, the government is clearly not going to tell people whete they can find pest species that are wanted in the illegal pet trade now are they.

A few gov bodies do know the locations.
Corn snakes have the ability to eat animals in very cold envitonments. They also eat other reptiles. Can you imagine what will happen when natives are brumating and a corn snake feels like a feed? Byebye natives.

Introducing any new species is irresponsible

- - - Updated - - -

Indian Palm Squirrels??? why can't exotics reptiles be kept? because we don't have a big enough voice that's why...

indian palm squirrels have very stringent regulations
there are only 5 registered breeders in aus and ALL offspring must be desexed before sold. So if any do escape they cannot reproduce.

There is a thread on this very forum full of people boasting about their animals that have escaped. Look in that thread for a couple of the reasons...

Its not a myth, the government is clearly not going to tell people whete they can find pest species that are wanted in the illegal pet trade now are they.

Corn snakes have the ability to eat animals in very cold envitonments. They also eat other reptiles. Can you imagine what will happen when natives are brumating and a corn snake feels like a feed? Byebye natives.

Introducing any new species is irresponsible

- - - Updated - - -

indian palm squirrels have very stringent regulations
there are only 5 registered breeders in aus and ALL offspring must be desexed before sold. So if any do escape they cannot reproduce.

so what happens if some non desexed animals escape from these registered breeders? they are still a problem in wa but the government are happy to have this exotic breeding on the east coast.

- - - Updated - - -

Some exotics like green iguanas that would get out of control but what would ball pythons or corns really do? the fact that most would be ''designer paint jobs'' most would be picked off by predators anyway... so if having exotics is a problem why should we be allowed to keep natives outside their natural range? there is a higher risk imo because of cross breeding.

Last edited:
If that was the thread I participated in, it wasn't boasting (not by me anyway). Sharing stories of how snakes escape can only help others, IMO.

To all the people who think an exotic colurbrid such as a corn snake would pose no serious threat to the Australian environment should google brown tree snakes in Guam.

That must explain the stories of countless campers & bush walkers found each year, wandering around dazed & confused...as if their memories were erased.

- - - Updated - - -

To all the people who think an exotic colurbrid such as a corn snake would pose no serious threat to the Australian environment should google brown tree snakes in Guam.

Yes, they're considered an invasive species, "due to a lack of predators on the island."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back