Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
its funny doesnt suprise me how much exotics there are here, just as suprising to me as how many oz reptiles are in the states, must of been some good trade offs in the days

its funny doesnt suprise me how much exotics there are here, just as suprising to me as how many oz reptiles are in the states, must of been some good trade offs in the days

Thats so true!! I saw a post on a fb page of aussies posting there geckos. A bloke from canada posted a pic of his Nephrurus V(not sure of it but there are none from what i know of in the hobby here) It annoys me actually

doesnt annoy me really ****** me off, we got some of the best reptiles in the world and the bloody yanks have most of them, and this is coming from a kiwi who never saw a snake in his life and just fell in love with them.

lol Half the people on this site would most likely have or know someone that has them, and keep it to them selves there smart enough to keep them on the low.. I know plenty of people with exotics it's not exactly policed, I've been in the car with a mate that breeds corns, boas, has a trio of chameleons, crested iguanas the list goes on (not a "badass" one of the nicest blokes you'll meet)we were pulled up for a random breath test he had 3 corns and 2 baby Agamas in the car going to sell them on our way into the city, the cop asked what we had in the pillow slips and why they were tied of with rubber bands he told the officer reptiles he thought he was full of it so asked us to open them up he shined his torch in had a look and told us to have a good night and let us go basically he didn't care or didn't know they were exotics..

The illegal pet trade is allot bigger then people think as long as there's demand and money to be made you can bet your bottom dollar that someones going to be supplying it.

I kinda lol about people getting all frothed up about exotics, majority have them and it is definitely not for the " oh look how badass i am owning an illegal animal ". I know a few people that have them and care for them like they are part of the family, no big deal in my eyes but i am sure 70% of aps will disagree with me ;)

Could be that they think its one thing like a boa when in reality its something different! There was a thread some mths back where a lady said she had a corn snake or something like that (it was sick and she was seeking help) when after some more q's from ppl on here she didnt even have a corn but it was something like a BHP! So could be these ppl have no idea what they have!

Im pretty sure that that chick was just covering her own *** as far as that thread goes.

People sound suprised by the amount of exotics there are. Every time i mention to someone that I keep snakes i hear "do you want a corn snake i know a dude who has albinos for sale"...

Maybe its just sydney, but they definately seem to be easy to get.

you never know whats true and whats bullsh#t these days. so many people just say what they think sounds best. i personally wont do anything which puts my snakes in any bad position. y bother risking the fines and all of them taken away. i personally would be gutted if someone took my snakes

Most of the ones who brag are just tryhards, banging on about their imaginary animals. Funny how so many supposed reptile lovers are so accepting..you realise how most of these animals get here, and where they come from? I never hesitate to let anyone mouthing off about their exotics know what I think of them and let them know I'll be calling The Guberment. Of course actually doing that would be as useful as turning on the bat signal, but it always gets an amusing response.

I guess if they feel safe, and they don't tell you where they live why wouldn't they?

It's not hard to give a false name, have a private number and never be seen again to someone you only just met up with to buy a tank or a gecko from.

There are more exotics here than anyone can imagine. Bit like jags, they are here to stay. No use getting your knickers in a knot over it. Sad part about it is, when they do get confiscated in some drug raid or whatever, they get euthanised and that is sad. Down here some chameleons got confiscated ( a baby one as well as an adult) all euthanised. So, you are not doing the animal any favours if you get caught.

BUt if the breeder of them sells the hatchies, they are spread across an area leaving the breeder, if caught, with only two or three being euthanised. Just my oppinion.

years ago i picked up something id bought on ebay from someones house,...he invted me in to a room with massive exotic snake (not good with whats what exoticwise, but it was def exotic) and a bunch of leopard geckos,..

i said, hmmm, you do know all these animals are illegal dont you,...at which point he looked like he was gonna poop himself till i said, i wont dob if you let me hold a leopard gecko, hahaha!
he said he had access to everything and anything, its all out there if you know where to look.

If breeding exotics is so big how do they manage to sell the babies? It's not like they can advertise can they ?? And another question how much do they ask for there exotics and it's just crazy there getting away with it

People want to buy. They do advertise, some are fake though. They go to pet shops and talk to the people looking at the reptile stuff etc. A friends uncle has chameleons, i think it was like $150 for a veiled chameleion.

lol snakes 123 let us know. i think it must make them feel 'badass'. and what you say is also true: as long as they are kept and loved, thats all you can ask for.

this guy with the boas was just totally strange. as i was taken off guard, i asked him óh wow, where do you come by those?'to which he replied he had quite a few, and then it was as if he was waiting for me to ask to buy one :S

He got back to me, he dosnt speak much in texts but he said he has balls ;) As in ball pythons. He didnt seem to keen when i asked if i could see them.

there are even exotics in Tas, you can buy aligators and cornsnakes here and yet you cant even legally own any Australian pythons!

That is funny Tassie. If i were you id get some corns and an aligator then.

If breeding exotics is so big how do they manage to sell the babies? It's not like they can advertise can they ?? And another question how much do they ask for there exotics and it's just crazy there getting away with it

Corns around my area go from as low as 80 up to 250 for snow's.. Boas depending on what sub species,size start from around 300.. Chameleons are bit more expensive around the 400-600 mark depending on size, sub species.. It all depends on what species and what the seller want's for them.

As we have been selling some our of tanks lately, we have had a few coming over to check them out. Out of three people who ended up buying, two had exotics - one had corns and the other openly admitted he had boas! wasn't too surprised with the corn snake, but boaS, not just one, but a few, so my guess is that he breeds them. why would you tell a stranger that? one who has all your details? so what are the ratios - are there more exotic owners than there are legal owners?

I've found a lot of people say they are selling them too. So I offer them twice what they are asking and say I'll take the lot!!! and I never see the person again! They are all liers! I'm yet to see anyone actually be truthful and see an actual animal with my own eyes... or the "owner" a second time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back