Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen the odd exotic here and there in peoples collections and quite frankly it doesn't bother me. The chances of that one corn escaping then surviving the local cats, dogs, kookas etc etc are very slim. The chances of it finding a mate and breeding a "monster army" are even more remote :lol:

These animals have as much disease as any other locally bred native and really aren't an issue. Certainly not in the situations I've seen them in anyway.

As for keeping them to impress people? Impress who? Anyone who doesn't know snakes are still asking me if my pythons are venomous, most snake lovers are appreciative of any snake whether its exotic or not, and can also understand the appeal of keeping something like this rather than seeing it destroyed (as realistically that's the creatures only option outside its current captive arrangements). They must be giving them away because I wouldn't pay a dollar for one :lol: The bigger question is who's forking out the bucks for them??

Personally I couldn't be bothered with the hassle, and certainly not as a registered reptile keeper. This is one reason they keep them illegally -actually two, it's cheaper :lol:...and secondly it is harder to find a keeper who is off the grid. The DSE or NPWS aren't going to do a spot checks on someone who is unregistered or unlicensed unless someone has reported them.

Last edited:
Good thread seeing everyones different opinions on the matter.

I think some are slightly jealous that they don't own an exotic which turns them against the people that do. I believe if the snake is kept in the right conditions by a somewhat experienced herper there is no problem morally, it's just the legality of it all that turns some away, just like tekno and a few other mentioned with steroids and illicit drugs.

However I must say IMO if the opportunity ever arose I would be happy to buy an exotic on the terms that I have read up on the reptile I'm buying and felt comfortable in being able to care for it the way anyone else would care for their python/reptile etc.

Good thread seeing everyones different opinions on the matter.

I think some are slightly jealous that they don't own an exotic which turns them against the people that do. I believe if the snake is kept in the right conditions by a somewhat experienced herper there is no problem morally, it's just the legality of it all that turns some away, just like tekno and a few other mentioned with steroids and illicit drugs.

Not sure why anyone would be jealous about people owning exotic animals that would be easily attainable if they looked, and you have to keep a secret and can't even openly enjoy, and can look at and be reminded they brought disease over, have and will continue to breed in the wild thanks to people being selfish and wanting an exotic pet and hence killing off our defenseless wildlife, and are the offspring from animals treated unethically when stuffed into who knows what to come here?

nope, not jealous at all.

The illegal wildlife trade and animal smuggling are nothing to be jealous about. More so ashamed of.

Its good to see that Australia has a tight set of rules in regards to exotic ownership. When you look at the damage and inballance caused by introduced species here and overseas its good to see that we are making a fairly reasonable attempt at not repeating past mistakes. I understand that the majority of people would be responsible if they were allowed to keep these animals but it only takes a few bad eggs to ruin the good that we already have. Look at how many introduced animals kept as pets in the US that have been released by the irresponsible and how much damage it has caused. I don't blame people for wanting exotics, I like and would most likely own some myself if the laws allowed but while our rules are the way they are we are at least making a possitive attempt at protecting our wildlife that are our identity here in AUS. We are lucky that the exotics that exist at present are minimised as best we can.

I don't think there's any risk in owning exotics and that's why people admit it. I don't have any but that's because for one, no ones ever offered me a milk snake :), and two, i wouldn't want the $70K fine and to lose all my other animals. But I've been keeping reptiles for over 10 years now and have never even heard from any authorities let alone been inspected so probably not that risky. Has anyone on this forum been inspected and if so, why?

Seriously though, I would report anyone who offered me anything exotic, especially a milk snake or a chameleon. Let me repeat that, I would report ANYONE who OFFERed ME anything exotic, especially A MILK SNAKE OR A CHAMELEON. :)

Last edited:
Man, I would kill for a pet anaconda... Damn Australian laws! but suppose its for the better, what is it that happened in the states, there is a large population of I think Burmese Pythons or something that have overtaken many wetlands and are thriving.. Wouldn't want that in our waterways. But I really want a Anaconda.. :( haha

Seriously though, I would report anyone who offered me anything exotic, especially a milk snake or a chameleon. Let me repeat that, I would report ANYONE who OFFERed ME anything exotic, especially A MILK SNAKE OR A CHAMELEON. :)

I love the code!

Man, I would kill for a pet anaconda... Damn Australian laws! but suppose its for the better, what is it that happened in the states, there is a large population of I think Burmese Pythons or something that have overtaken many wetlands and are thriving.. Wouldn't want that in our waterways. But I really want a Anaconda.. :( haha

Not when those suckers get to 20 Foot lol!

An overseas snake that I fell in love with is the Red Tailed Boa, Tho they get HUGE! soooooo fat, but look awesome :) Maybe oneday if I ever move overseas! But it will be a must to hold one if i travel to the states :D

Last edited:
Beacause like most people they wabt to show off oh yeah Ive got a exotic python something dont have blah blah others are too stupid to know there illegal

So anyone in Brissy wanting to go on a hunt for a reticulated python, try Boondall wetlands :shock:. A few possible escape's from the airport may have found there way down there. . . . only a rumour I cannot and will not confirm. . . but I would not dismiss it.

So anyone in Brissy wanting to go on a hunt for a reticulated python, try Boondall wetlands :shock:. A few possible escape's from the airport may have found there way down there. . . . only a rumour I cannot and will not confirm. . . but I would not dismiss it.

I heard about a burm in a park in sydney somewhere...
I think...:?

Last edited:
i was talking to some one the other day who owns there own reptile shows not naming wich one but he was telling me he has a albino burmese and he could get me one for 20 grand i laughed and said thats 16 green tree pythons and walked away. but i have to admit i would love a boa or a chamelion :) stupin australian laws

If I was offered an Iguana, Chameleon or even a komodo dragon i would struggle to say no. The only reason I would say no is because I wouldn't want to risk my collection.

I follow the laws and everything... but if my favorite animal came along.. well I'd have to be put in that situation to give a answer.

I wouldn't refuse getting my hands on some corn snakes if someone had some they were looking to offload. They're absolutely splendid little creatures and they come in such a wide variety of patterns and colours.

But at the same time, I wouldn't act like I wasn't doing something that broke the law. Disagreeing with a law and its reasons for existing doesn't mean you get to just contravene it. A fact I solemnly wish more people understood.

I agree with the Australian laws of not permitting exotics, because of what has happened in the past, but then again I don't think that I would be able to turn down a Chameleon, Savannah Monitor, Tegu or Leopard Gecko. :s

For exotic herps as pets I do understand the attraction, though in most cases not over the animals which we do have. I mean personally i've always wanted to keep land tortoises (Maybe if I live overseas or get a job at the zoo lol), but I understand the ruling and wouldn't want to encourage it the illegal trade though If I ended up with one I wouldn't be sure I could turn the animal in due to the fact it would be put down a practice I do not agree with, for healthy animals as the case may be. Especially as it isn't the animals fault for being in the wrong place .... Just adding my opinion to the brewing pot.

It's such a hard thing to comment on. Don't like the idea of breaking laws but if someone offered me a leopard gecko and it was in horrible conditions then I wouldn't say no. Couldn't handle the thought of someone killing a reptile :-(

I think it would be quite suprising to put up a poll on this thread (who owns exotics)? and find out how many members actually have exotics. The polls on here are confidential so know one knows who's answers are who's.
If anyone is more computer saavy than me please feel free to organise, the options could be
Do you own an exotic?
Would you get one under current laws and legislation?
Know of and friends that keep exotics?

Cheers

report them for sure, especially the person owning multiple boas they could have a huge environmental impact just look at Burmese pythons in america

I don't think anyone who owned exotics would own up on here anyway someone would dob instantly, I may know where to get boas corns albino corns chameleons king snakes. But I wouldn't tell anyone or encourage that kind of thing. Not worth the risk unless your a million dollar man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back