Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Would someone please explain why it's so bad if someone has a corn snake?
I didn't realise exotic snakes, like corns and boas were illegal (I'm pretty new to reptile land - have had my python for just a week!).
I do know a girl who has a corn snake and she said she got it because the previous owner was being cruel (keeping him in vile conditions, provoking it etc.)

Thanks! Anni

@ MonsieurFang
Please read attached:
http://www.environment.gov.au/about/media/dept-mr/pubs/mr20100906.pdf

I no longer have the Dep. of Environment docs I read before, they were too long, but this one above still explains a bit (very briefly) the issue.
Also, if you research what Cane Toads are doing to wildlife in Australia (in particular, ie, the black tiger snake) you'll understand it better.

I hope this helps. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

people can agree or disagree on whether it is ok to keep exotics but as long as they are available for people to purchase them you will have people ready to buy them

As far as the exotics debate goes, as much as there are some stunning creatures O/S that I would love to keep (Emerald tree monitors and Boelens pythons spring to mind), I absolutely adore our natives, and I think we are blessed to have some of the most stunning fauna in the world, and would not do anything to compromise that.
I think people are so vocal about owning exotics for several reasons, most of which have already been mentioned here; they want to be badass, or they simply don't know any better being the main ones. I think a lot of the reason is for the same reason I feel the need to tell everyone everytime I get a new anything (regardless of whether they know it's illegal or not): "Look at this new pet/thing I have! It's AWESOME!!!"

Although, I have finally found something I disagree with Bluetongue about:

There are also those who put their own desires ahead of more general needs. All I can say to them is that it wouldn't be illegal if it was alright to do.

Blue

I can't help but bring to mind: the ban on PP collars (prong collars) in Victoria; The ridiculous BSL/Pit Bull laws that have been (reasonably recently) introduced in Victoria; the restrictions on other dogs (Dogo Argentino, Presa Canario, Japanese Tosa etc) that have been around for years.

Most people probably don't care because we are as a society quite used to breaking the law. Anyone ever drove a little to fast, smoked a joint, gone fishing without a license, camped on a remote beach without a permit, not voted, bought a banned video game from overseas, pirated a movie, cut down a tree on your own property. Christ I've done all these in the last month but I'm. Still ahardworking responsible taxpaying father of two beautiful girls, who if offered would consider a chamleon or ball maybe and even though I know its wrong they're just so pretty

Id say a good half of you are racist to snakes, hating on a reptile because its not from Australia( kinda tongue in cheek but true ).. futher more the ones of you who think its good reptiles die because they are not native in my opinion cannot call themselfs true reptile lovers. I dont think killing animals is the answer, i dont claim to have the answer but i dont feel that is it.

I would love a chameleon and i seriously doubt that chameleons will have an impact on our wildlife but putting my collection on the line is a massive risk. i feel that the americas problem in the everglades is a bad example of the risk on our environment as it was a massive breeding facility that got caught in a cyclone releasing hundreds of thousands of burmese and alike pythons in to the wild at the same time..

Im not saying i think that blanket legalisation is the answer but i think they are here and its time to stop being ignorant to that and look and controling the problem that exists..

JMO :)

one of my friends just got a chamelian??? There are so many exotic animals in australia that we dont know about

Id say a good half of you are racist to snakes, hating on a reptile because its not from Australia( kinda tongue in cheek but true ).. futher more the ones of you who think its good reptiles die because they are not native in my opinion cannot call themselfs true reptile lovers. I dont think killing animals is the answer, i dont claim to have the answer but i dont feel that is it.

I would love a chameleon and i seriously doubt that chameleons will have an impact on our wildlife but putting my collection on the line is a massive risk. i feel that the americas problem in the everglades is a bad example of the risk on our environment as it was a massive breeding facility that got caught in a cyclone releasing hundreds of thousands of burmese and alike pythons in to the wild at the same time..

Im not saying i think that blanket legalisation is the answer but i think they are here and its time to stop being ignorant to that and look and controling the problem that exists..

JMO :)

yeah why not just have an international licence and maybe only sell desexed reptiles so if they do get out they cant go crazy and take over atleast then it can be monitored (lol can you desex reptiles its just sounded like a good idea ;-) .)

Cathy

yeah why not just have an international licence and maybe only sell desexed reptiles so if they do get out they cant go crazy and take over atleast then it can be monitored (lol can you desex reptiles its just sounded like a good idea ;-) .)

Cathy

Thats what im getting at actually, i would pay an extra 50 for a desexed chameleon or a red tailed boa.

Just on exotics has anyone been to the hub library in Aberfoyle pk? I grew up there and for as long as i can remember they have had a snake called soloman who would have to have been 12ft long and i think a boa from wat i remember.. Ill have to dig up the photos of me and 5 or 6 other kids holding him. even all the leadlight windows in the place had him in them. I dont see a library having a zoo license lol. see even local government owns exotics hahah

- - - Updated - - -

so i just rang the hub library and soloman died 3 years ago at the ripe age of 44 years old :( the lady said that he has a fb page somewhere i will check out..

just wondering with all these exotics getting round, people with licenses must have them and keep them illegally, what do you do with them if you get a knock at the door by your licensing division for your state/territory? or how many people have actually had the authorities turn up on their door step to inspect their collection???

just wondering with all these exotics getting round, people with licenses must have them and keep them illegally, what do you do with them if you get a knock at the door by your licensing division for your state/territory? or how many people have actually had the authorities turn up on their door step to inspect their collection???

Would start by asking them to come back later.

you would need to do some quick taling wouldnt ya, i think as long as the license holder is home it is part of the terms on ya license that they are allowed access anytime they want. has anyone ever been checked?

honestly i dont think theres anything wrong with owning an exotic, just that Australia needs to lighten up a little bit more, because what happens when a corn snake (or other illegal) gets sick you cant really go to the vet now -.- i dont see the harm why we are not allowed to keep them, i wanted one, i could of gotten one... though i thought i may as well go the correct way went and got my licence and now looking around to buy my first snake:)

Bragging about owning exotics is stupid I would never brag! But if I did own one I would ***** myself every time a car came up my drive way. lol (what's the good of owning one if it's not displayed)?
We have frequent visits from inspectors due to legally owning monkeys! So exotics would be out of the question for me! People have illegal natives too!

I just hope people that you realize who is reading our forums. All written here is in archive available to anybody who make search. If you get in trouble in future, you have pretty good record here what is your opinion on this subject.

APS is strongly advising all members to stay a way from illegal trades.

Bragging about owning exotics is stupid I would never brag! But if I did own one I would ***** myself every time a car came up my drive way. lol (what's the good of owning one if it's not displayed)?
We have frequent visits from inspectors due to legally owning monkeys! So exotics would be out of the question for me! People have illegal natives too!

I know what you mean, I don't have exotics (why would I want to, our own fauna is incredible:D) but I do have 4 dogs in a council area zoned for 2. I know damned well that I would not hesitate to pack them all up and move house if I needed to, but I still **** my pants every time an unknown car pulls up in front of the house!!

We have frequent visits from inspectors due to legally owning monkeys!

What species and purpose do you have to legally hold primate species? I have heard of it being done before, same as big cats. I ask not because I want to but due to my interest in zoological facilities and it is a side connection, feel free to PM me to avoid taking this thread off topic. Cheers

Nah start a thread with monkey photos. That's so cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back