Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been keeping a range of exotic fish for a very long time. It always amazes me how exotic non-importable fish are traded openly. I have never been offered any exotic reptiles and it would certainly be hard to resist some Leopard Geckoes, Corn Snakes of even Red Eared Sliders.

I don't see how its any different to a lot of the fish that are kept and sold openly. I personally don't have a problem with people keeping exotics. As long as they are sensible about it. The most destructive exotic animals have already overrun much of the country - and were released legally. I see plenty of talk about exotic reptiles being readily available. Im starting to think its a bit of exaggeration.

They're probably proud of it. Like they know that who they're talking to most likely doesn't have exotics so it makes them feel special.

I see plenty of talk about exotic reptiles being readily available. Im starting to think its a bit of exaggeration.

No, it isn't. 2 weeks ago I was offered the following (all of them snakes):

High-orange corn snakes (I saw these in the flesh, they aren't classified as "okeetee" but they were a rich orange with pure clean white and black/tortoiseshell patterns on the belly.
Amelanistic corns (fluorescent orange, probably albino forms of the above)
Black&White corns
Snow corns
Coral (pink) snow corns (see the high-orange above, probably related)
Pueblan milk snakes
Honduran milk snakes
Gopher snakes
Ball pythons
Blood pythons

None of them were of any interest to me since I keep RHD womas and in my opinion they are equal first with corns as being the best pet snake - except at feeding time. Idiot-proof and so easy to keep/breed/maintain. Milks are a lot harder to keep, and I've got friends who've had them and tended to lose a few from time to time due to stress (heat, enclosure?).

I have been keeping a range of exotic fish for a very long time. It always amazes me how exotic non-importable fish are traded openly. I have never been offered any exotic reptiles and it would certainly be hard to resist some Leopard Geckoes, Corn Snakes of even Red Eared Sliders.

I don't see how its any different to a lot of the fish that are kept and sold openly. I personally don't have a problem with people keeping exotics. As long as they are sensible about it. The most destructive exotic animals have already overrun much of the country - and were released legally. I see plenty of talk about exotic reptiles being readily available. Im starting to think its a bit of exaggeration.

ha ha what sort of exotic fish i know that certain aquariums/petstores in sydney that have illegal things for eg..genetically modified danios,corydoras which glow, and red tail catfish and alligator gar

Wow. Was this just friend of a friend? Advertised somewhere? Or just someone you randomly met?

I used to know a lot of people in that scene, and still have the occasional offer. About 6 or 7 times a year. Mostly bred interstate, particularly around Melbourne, is where most of the corns I've been offered come from. From what I gather corns don't handle temps higher than say 33, they just lock up and refuse to eat, shed, defecate, so unless I had air-con on all the time 24/7 keeping them wouldn't be 100% viable even if they were legal.

just wondering with all these exotics getting round, people with licenses must have them and keep them illegally, what do you do with them if you get a knock at the door by your licensing division for your state/territory? or how many people have actually had the authorities turn up on their door step to inspect their collection???

U look through ur peep whole and sit the shotty out

the funny thing is im 13 ive been asked if i want corns ,leopards, ball pythons, burmeses and chameleons all of which i wish i said yes to and with all those people ive said u do realise there illegal for about 5mins there like stunned mullet than a sec after i will be like i wont dob the only reason why is because you should of seen the conditions of the tanks and racks for the leopard gecos the racks would get cleaned evry day with the chameleons had a ginormous tank with a imaculate dispaly of a rainforest wit bromiliards and get sparayed every day for the burmese and ball pythons tanks that cost thousands and also poison dart frogs last time i got offered them they were 1000 for a pair just for 2 frogs ARE U MENTAL just couldnt do it for frogs no matter wat

Yes you can.
Vets are bound by a code of ethics.

Actually we swear no oaths to anything except "Do no harm". Vets have no obligation with regards to what they must see or treat. Most will turn a blind eye to exotics however for the sake of the animal.

just wondering with all these exotics getting round, people with licenses must have them and keep them illegally, what do you do with them if you get a knock at the door by your licensing division for your state/territory? or how many people have actually had the authorities turn up on their door step to inspect their collection???

DEC inspect all the time in WA. I've had three officers go through my reptile room on one occasion. I've been inspected twice so far. They check my paperwork from the time I got my first license. And check every tub and visible enclosure in my reptile room looking for 'extra' animals.

Actually we swear no oaths to anything except "Do no harm". Vets have no obligation with regards to what they must see or treat. Most will turn a blind eye to exotics however for the sake of the animal.
What? I thought there was a ritual that involved a massive stone iguana and the blood sacrifice of virgins. Later the oath is taken which is witnessed by the vet gods.

I think you are getting vets mixed up with bankers Snowman. Pretty much the same but the stone statue is an owl :)
Also vets use vegan virgins and bankers use women of the night. It's a link to the owl symbology.

What? I thought there was a ritual that involved a massive stone iguana and the blood sacrifice of virgins. Later the oath is taken which is witnessed by the vet gods.
You cannot call it a ritual unless a goat is involved.

jeez thats pretty harsh in WA here in sydny youd be lucky to get a wildlife person to do a inspection there all to lazy pretty much

I think its a waste of time. If I was going to keep illegal reptiles.. Then I wouldnt have got a license in the first place. They should be out doing something useful, other than slapping people on the wrist for not having correct paperwork.

yeah thats true but put it this way im 13 there not gonna come running to my house asking do u have exotics show me your records wats in this tub true

yeah thats true but put it this way im 13 there not gonna come running to my house asking do u have exotics show me your records wats in this tub true
They would if you lived in WA. Most likely the license would be in your parents name and the inspection would be the same regardless of how old you are.

Most DSE inspectors can't tell the difference between chondros and emerald tree boas.

They would if you lived in WA. Most likely the license would be in your parents name and the inspection would be the same regardless of how old you are.

how early do they inform you of their arrival? and do you know if they just inspect people with a mid-large collection or even people with 1-2 reptiles?

how early do they inform you of their arrival? and do you know if they just inspect people with a mid-large collection or even people with 1-2 reptiles?
No warning and my first visit I only had a few pythons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back