Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon_Archibald

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently moved to Darwin from Newcastle and on the drive up, while travelling at 130km/hr on the Barkley Highway, I spotted this little guy on the side of the road. I was over the moon to see one of these guys in the wild, moreso impressed I spotted him while travelling at that speed :)

He was about 15km from the Barkley Homestead and I also spotted 2 others within about 25km of this Thorny.

Enjoy,
Simon Archibald

Hi Simon,
Nice to see you on this site again!!
What great pics.......what made you move to darwin???

Nice one Simon, they are the species i most want to see in the wild now.
I spotted this girl at 110kmh whilst driving at night :) It's amazing what human eyes are capable of.
Cnv0150.jpg

Simon,

On my way back from the Territory three years ago, I also sighted three in the vicinity of the Barkly homestead. I was surprised to find them over that way (I thought their range was more restricted - but I was wrong) and actually asked at the petrol Station - they said they were very common around there.

I'm at work right now, and don't have access to my records but I know they were all around that region.

Also found a few crossing the road on the Stuart Hwy between the Alice and Erldunda, and one on the Lassetter Hwy.

It's really a buzz when you see your first wild Moloch, isn't it?!!!!!!!

:p

Hix

about fifteen years ago, driving back from darwin with my dad and older brother, I saw them and heaps of other critters from the car window, but they refused to stop the car, I still hate them for it!!!

Garth/Fay - hope you guys are well - moved up here chasing work and living with my good lady.

Craig - you're not wrong, human eyes are quite capable little things aren't they.

Hix - mate it was a huge buzz seeing the Molochs...I've also been fortunate enough to meet a young Olive Python in my backyard.

And there's plenty more herping to be done around the place.

Simon Archibald

Thanks for the pics.
I've always wanted to see one of these critters face-to-face.
Only saw my 1st frilly the other week (one that wasn't on a 2c coin!)

And there's plenty more herping to be done around the place.
Well, you're in the right place for monitors. I'm sure you're happy about that!

:p

Hix

Well done, I was holidaying in Alice Springs years ago and looked out for them but didn't see any wild ones.

Simon, good to see you back online. What bought about the change ? Newcastle to Darwin is a major move.

Ashley,
'Twas the girlfriend's idea and sounded like a fun little adventure so I ran with it. So far it's been great and to have all these animals around the place is awesome. We have a GTF that lives in our toilet who I nicknaked Luey...haha...he's very cool. Have to fish him out all the time though. Dragons running all over the place, possums, Olive Pythons...this is tbe place to be right now.

Simon Archibald

nice find mate. i saw a baby one when i was just outside alice last year and god what a rush. then we also came accross a perentie but sadly he had been hit. what about some more pics of these wild herps your encountering?

Ricko they're too bloody hard to photograph, or the batteries are dead when I am able to get a good shot...you know what it's like mate.. :)

Simon Archibald

simon congrats on the move. just curious can we keep thorny devils on liscence i know they eat ants and stuff but im just intereted what they would be classed under.

hey simon, where abouts in darwin you live? you must be out humpty doo way since you seeing all these herps, you get the dragons everywhere and skinks but the common tree's and olives would be more out that way, the GTS is a YTS up here lol

Wow great find! how the hell did you see that from the car at that speed what a fluke!

Looks like ill be planing a trip to Darwin then hey!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back