Woma Python or Children’s Python?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which snake?

• Total voters

BandyBandy91

Reaction score
Hi all, I have owned a Blue-Tongued Lizard for over a year now and am wanting to get myself a pet snake. My two preferences are the Woma and Children’s Pythons. I would prefer the Woma but I would also be sharing the snake with my mother, who would prefer a Children’s Python, but would still be happy to get a Woma. She mainly likes the Children’s Python more due to a smaller size, and better reputation. I believe the Children’s Python is too small, so I suggested getting a Woma Python. She is fine with it, although she doesn’t like the possibility of bad feeding responses. I would like to hear which of the two I should get as a first-time snake owner. Thank you.

Apples or oranges?

They're quite different snakes. If you'd asked me for my personal preference 10-20 years ago I'd have said Woma, if you'd asked me 0-10 years ago I'd say Children's. Size preference is a purely personal thing. I like to have a small number of large snakes around just because there's something fun about having a few large snakes, but I really like the size of Children's Pythons, and they're one of my absolute favourite snakes to work with. I loved Womas early on (and I still think they're fantastic), but I sort of grew out of them over time, while the Children's seem to be something I just love more and move decade after decade. The only thing I'd be cautious of as a first time keeper is their feeding response, and when Womas clamp down on you they can be very enthusiastic to try to finish the job and they can be hard to get off you. As an experienced keeper this isn't a problem because you'll recognise it easily, be able to avoid it if necessary, and if you do get bitten you'll probably not particularly care and even if you do you'll have experience in the tricks required to get them off, but a solid, determined feed bite isn't fun for most newbies.

One of the things which makes it easy to keep enjoying Children's Pythons is that continual expansion in colours and patterns available, while Womas haven't really changed much in, well, hundreds of thousands of years.

Back