Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benjamind2010

Reaction score
Just did a nightly/daily check on temps, and they are better than before. My large female just shed, the male hasn't shed yet but will likely shed within the next 2 days.

Highs are a little bit lower than before (they were around 31-33), now around the 30-32 degree mark, with the lows around the 23-25 mark.

I read an article in Care Sheets - Hawkesbury Reptiles and they say the temps for womas at the hot end range from 32-40 degrees and the cool end range from 15-25 degrees.

I think 22-24 definitely fits within the 15-25 range and I'm not sure if I agree with 15 degrees at the lowest, that seems too low (except maybe for SA womas) or cooling them in winter, but from reading this I know my hot end could be a bit better, maybe 35 degrees. I find that I can't get it any higher than 33 using my current thermostat, so I might consider using a different thermostat (the MicroClimate B1) which will allow me to go to 36 degrees.

Once the male sheds, will throw out the bedding of all tubs (they're due for a thorough clean now anyway) and change to 6 layers of newspaper - which would help them to hide more too since they can slide under the newspaper, which would also serve to reduce any potential stress.

ok if your thermostat duznt go that high [ degress wise] then put the thermostat probe away from the baskin/heat area . make sure u have a temp gauge so then u can set the temps u want .

I've done just that. I will see what the temps are tomorrow, and record them again, and update this thread with the measured temps. If womas can handle 40 degrees then I see no problem with having the hot spot at 37 degrees if that is possible, not sure if the B1 dimmer thermostat I have would allow that, but I know it definitely goes to 36 degrees. Maybe it'll go an extra degree warmer, if I remember the 36 is just a graphic, I believe the knob may be able to turn further than that and if it does then that would be good.

Will report my findings.

I wish you had told me they were due for a shed when you attempted to feed them on the weekend, many snakes will refuse to feed during this period, imo it was a wasted effort

Don't attempt to feed them until after they have shed, try and get them when they are roaming about, not hiding (if possible) also use tongs and move the prey around slowly (no sudden movements) to entice a response, dont rush this process, move the prey away from it and back towards it slowly as if to tease it, this will stimulate its feeding instincts.

PS, all of what I just said are methods that work well for me with Jungles, if any Woma keepers think its bad advice please feel free to correct me

Last edited:
I wish you had told mew they were due for a shed when you attempted to feed them on the weekend, many snakes will refuse to feed during this period, imo it was a wasted effort

The small female was not in shed, so for her it wasn't a wasted effort - only the large female and the male were in shed. I only found out the male was going into shed later that afternoon as I noticed his eyes were getting opaque, and of course I'd known the large female was in shed before that.

Updated temps:

Hot end, about 32-35 degrees generally, with the low end temps around 25-27 degrees. A vast improvement over what was previously around 30-32 degrees and 21-23 degrees respectively.

I did this by calibrating the thermostat by placing the probe on a slightly cooler part of the heat panel, and then by surrounding the entire rack system (apart from the front) with a layer of thin foil/foam insulation. This seems to have kept temps in a better range.

Now, just waiting for a few days until I make an attempt to feed them. Will update when I have news ;)

sounds like the temps are being dealt with in a good way! hawkesbury reptiles are a top quality place (have had dealings with them before) goodluck feeding!

I'm going to get one of those thermometers that store the lowest/highest temps so that I know what the temperature range was between 9:30pm and 6am without losing sleep. I had one of these a few years ago but it stopped working and since getting my IR gun thermometer I didn't think I'd need one, but I do to get a better idea of what the temps are during the night.

EDIT: Just bought one, should arrive soon ;)

Last edited:
It's a desert snake. Jack the temperature up to 40 and leave them alone for a week.

You don't keep Womas do you? Where do you think Womas are when the temps are hitting 40?
Sydney hits 40, should we offer our diamonds 40 as well? I don't mean to sound rude, I just don't think that's good advice!

Whats with all these people recommending temps up to 40C?
40C may be ok for a basking area provided the animal can move away to a cooler area but it really is totally unnecessary and potentially dangerous if unable to get access to cooler areas.

Desert species like high temps eh? Go out in these high temps and see if you can find any basking.

I'm going to get one of those thermometers that store the lowest/highest temps so that I know what the temperature range was between 9:30pm and 6am without losing sleep. I had one of these a few years ago but it stopped working and since getting my IR gun thermometer I didn't think I'd need one, but I do to get a better idea of what the temps are during the night.

EDIT: Just bought one, should arrive soon ;)

You can get fridge thermometers from Jaycar that do that for $20
I am pretty sure most herp probe thermometers do as well

I'll second Jason and Ramsayi,

While womas can tolerate ambient/air temperatures up to 45 degrees which is VERY hot, you won't see them sustaining those temps for any great length of time or they would overheat and die. That's why womas tend to burrow beneath the surface, simply to avoid getting too hot. Womas can handle a hot spot of 40 degrees though, no problems, but I wouldn't advise a hot end any higher than say 37 degrees which is human body temperature, for ANY aspidites. Not to say that womas cannot handle higher than 37, they sure can, but you wouldn't want to overheat them which would be another source of stress and stress = problems, either immediate or long term.

For the hot end, 35 degrees should be fine. For the cool end keep it at 25, no lower.

Edit: not worth it. I offered you some advice, and you try to give it back when you're clearly failing at being a decent keeper. Proof of that is in the threads you've started and the bridges you've burned proving your point.

Last edited:
Edit: not worth it. I offered you some advice, and you try to give it back when you're clearly failing at being a decent keeper.

I wasn't trying to ridicule you, it's just that keeping them at 40 even throughout summer may stress them out from too high temps if they can't get away from those high temps to cool themselves down, 35-37 should be hot enough to keep them happy. 40 is not too hot for a woma, but 37 is better as it should still allow them to maintain sufficient heat.

BTW, do you actually keep womas, or know of any breeders who keep womas?

According to you I'm failing at being a decent keeper...that's strange, I thought I was rectifying what was an earlier problem with temps being too low. I don't want to go from too low to too high, otherwise if something goes wrong I'll be attacked and cut down yet again.

I can't win, can I?

Edit: not worth it. I offered you some advice, and you try to give it back when you're clearly failing at being a decent keeper. Proof of that is in the threads you've started and the bridges you've burned proving your point.
your just crappy cause your " advice " got shot down ;)

According to you I'm failing at being a decent keeper...that's strange, I thought I was rectifying what was an earlier problem with temps being too low. I don't want to go from too low to too high, otherwise if something goes wrong I'll be attacked and cut down yet again.

I can't win, can I?

ignore it, continue what you are doing now with the temps and try to not let it all get to you.

ignore it, continue what you are doing now with the temps and try to not let it all get to you.

Yep. I've measured the temps again, the hot end is 35 degrees give or take 1 degree, and the cool end is between 25-27, not bad. I hope it stays that way through the night into the morning ;)

Yep. I've measured the temps again, the hot end is 35 degrees give or take 1 degree, and the cool end is between 25-27, not bad. I hope it stays that way through the night into the morning ;)

goodluck! i keep my bhp at 34 in the hot end, 27/ambient room temps in the cool end and have never had an issue with feeding. so hopefully you will get similar results soon enough! (feeding wise)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back