Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
funny how people on here are so judgemental. were you there did you see that she had the snake around her neck? was she a big strong lady? Having had a coastal python for many years myself who was about 9foot along with other large breeds I know that strenght of the snake when he was out for feeding and cleaning. A good friend of mine who is a bit more built then I also had trouble with the strenght of the ssnake. I guess all your answers to that are don't get it out to clean it's enclosure or to feed it just as you have judged this woman. one of the whole ideas of having herps is to enjoy them handle them etc. what is the point in having them if they are to be kept indoors not handled or allowed to venture I am sure that you wouldn't like to live in a little box with only a bowl for water a light and some sort of heat nor would you keep any other animal like this constantly or do you believe in the bonsai kittens? I certainly am not content to leave my behind locked glass 24/7 365days.

Have I missed something? You seem to be the one here making wild assumptions about what others may or may not be 'judging' someone on. I think the comments here are quite valid and the lady invited such public scrutiny by giving several media interviews (I would assume for some small profit) regarding the incident.

And to answer your question, she was (by her very own admission) wandering around her house, alone, with the snake around her neck while she spoke on the phone (i.e. Not paying due attention to the potentially dangerous animal that she was 'cuddling' with for her own enjoyment).

For the record (since you've taken it upon yourself to do the same to 'us', I assume you don't mind being accused yourself), you handle your reptiles (just like others) for selfish reasons disguised as enrichment. The animal doesn't need you to hold it and say sweet things, that's purely for your benefit. Hey, I do the same thing! But I am under no illusions about it being for the well being of the animal!

Reptiles are not social animals and, in fact, are more likely to be caused harm and stress by being carried and paraded around than being confined. Ask any field herper/reptile relocator etc. and they will tell you, snakes don't want to wander, explore or play with people. They want to hide in a small secure place until it is time to eat and then they hide again.

Reptiles are not social animals and, in fact, are more likely to be caused harm and stress by being carried and paraded around than being confined. Ask any field herper/reptile relocator etc. and they will tell you, snakes don't want to wander, explore or play with people. They want to hide in a small secure place until it is time to eat and then they hide again.
I don't know about everyone else, but my snakes cling with all their might to whatever they happen to be sitting on at the time if I try to grab them. I talk to them and cuddle them but I know they don't need affection and I can tell it's certainly not reciprocated :p People just have this tendency to personify animals...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back