Wood viv heating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike python

Reaction score
Hi guys so recently got my first juvenile stimmie, I got a wood viv 1200 x 600 x 600 with glass sliding doors it came with heat lamp and uv lamp, the hot side of the viv isn’t getting hot enough, I got fake turf as the bedding would a heat cable sandwiched between 2 tiles be alright/ safe to throw in under the fake turf

tia

Hi Mike
That enclosure sounds way to big for a juvenile stimmie. You would be better off starting it out in something smaller, and place a low wattage heat mat with a thermostat under 1/3 to 1/2 of the floor. Heat bulbs are useless in my opinion.
Floor heat is the go however, and a heat tile as you mentioned is fine, if made properly. Good luck.

Hi Mike
That enclosure sounds way to big for a juvenile stimmie. You would be better off starting it out in something smaller, and place a low wattage heat mat with a thermostat under 1/3 to 1/2 of the floor. Heat bulbs are useless in my opinion.
Floor heat is the go however, and a heat tile as you mentioned is fine, if made properly. Good luck.
I thought the same regarding the size but he absolutely loves it it took him a couple of weeks to adapt but judging from his movements he like the big space. Okay thank you I’ll go with floor heat are the heat mats safe to use under that fake lawn stuff

Heat mats are designed to go under the floor, not inside the enclosure. If your little one is happy in the large enclosure, i would just make that heat tile you mentioned using heat cord and a thermostat. Good luck.

he hot side of the viv isn’t getting hot enough
have you tried a higher watt globe? common one to use is phillips 50/60w... this would be the easiest setup change lol

https://www.bunnings.com.au/philips-60w-es-r80-clear-floodlight-reflector-globe_p4324296 DO NOT USE "Reptile globes" you will pay 5-6x the price for the same thing with a reptile brand

this gets to 45c in my enclosure which is slightly lower than yours

If for some reason this doesn’t work, ditch the bulb heating. Dont use heat mat inside enclosure, use heat cord sandwiched between 2 tiles, in an up down pattern, not a spiral
Also i wouldnt recommend fake turf, after a few cleans it gets gross and daggy and stinks, either use paper pellet cat litter, kritter krumble or butchers paper

Last edited:
have you tried a higher watt globe? common one to use is phillips 50/60w... this would be the easiest setup change lol

https://www.bunnings.com.au/philips-60w-es-r80-clear-floodlight-reflector-globe_p4324296 DO NOT USE "Reptile globes" you will pay 5-6x the price for the same thing with a reptile brand

this gets to 45c in my enclosure which is slightly lower than yours

If for some reason this doesn’t work, ditch the bulb heating. Dont use heat mat inside enclosure, use heat cord sandwiched between 2 tiles, in an up down pattern, not a spiral
Also i wouldnt recommend fake turf, after a few cleans it gets gross and daggy and stinks, either use paper pellet cat litter, kritter krumble or butchers paper
sorry to hijack a comment in someone else's thread but i've seen this heat tile set up mentioned a few times now and i'm curious because eventually Casper will move into his large wood enclosure but the heat mat obviously will not do in there. What sort of tiles do you use? how do you set it up? do you have pictures or any handy tips on how to make it as safe as possible for the snake with my very minimal hardware and reptile knowledge hahah thank you in advance!

sorry to hijack a comment in someone else's thread but i've seen this heat tile set up mentioned a few times now and i'm curious because eventually Casper will move into his large wood enclosure but the heat mat obviously will not do in there. What sort of tiles do you use? how do you set it up? do you have pictures or any handy tips on how to make it as safe as possible for the snake with my very minimal hardware and reptile knowledge hahah thank you in advance!
i personally use a 16mm piece of melamine with grooves cut out using a router tool - i hope pic makes sense?? you have the 16mm melamine for base then another 16mm piece on top

ive heard people use corflute instead but i never done it like that
lZZlANu.png

i personally use a 16mm piece of melamine with grooves cut out using a router tool - i hope pic makes sense?? you have the 16mm melamine for base then another 16mm piece on top

ive heard people use corflute instead but i never done it like that
lZZlANu.png
that diagram is perfect, thank you so much, heat cord seems to be the way to go in terms of the ease of drilling a hole in the side of the enclosure. will hunt around for where to source melamine, hopefully my friend is keen to get crafting.

Latest posts

Back