Wooden tank heating for Stimson’s Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo_Harvey

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I hope you are all well. Just after a bit of advice. We got a 7 month of Stimson’s Python 2 days ago. She is beautiful, we love her so much. I’m just a bit concerned because I can’t get her basking spot at the bottom of the tank to the right temperature. It’s only getting to 27 degrees and the breeder said that it should be around 32. She is climbing up to the light to sleep. Hopefully that’s ok. I have read conflicting advice/opinions about heating wooden enclosures through substrate. Can anyone else using a wooden enclosure please offer advice? Is it ok to put a heat cord or mat under the substrate? Should I increase the wattage of the bulb? This one is 100W. Thanks. All advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• 9667F106-1403-468B-B03F-33C6DB95BD7B.jpeg
    9667F106-1403-468B-B03F-33C6DB95BD7B.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 16
Hi guys,
I hope you are all well. Just after a bit of advice. We got a 7 month of Stimson’s Python 2 days ago. She is beautiful, we love her so much. I’m just a bit concerned because I can’t get her basking spot at the bottom of the tank to the right temperature. It’s only getting to 27 degrees and the breeder said that it should be around 32. She is climbing up to the light to sleep. Hopefully that’s ok. I have read conflicting advice/opinions about heating wooden enclosures through substrate. Can anyone else using a wooden enclosure please offer advice? Is it ok to put a heat cord or mat under the substrate? Should I increase the wattage of the bulb? This one is 100W. Thanks. All advice is appreciated.
Hi

One of the most common advices you will see here will be "get off the red globes". I'm off them, they blow way too often, dont make as much heat for $ spent on power.

People also put Ceramic heat emitters down pretty low on the list

Heat mats or cords make perfectly controllable localised heat which makes setting up a gradient heaps easy. However there would be some safety considerations to consider with a wood floor

Check the DIY section but I think people put a heat mat on a wooden floor and put a tile over that, position a hide directly above that, with the thermostat temp probe right inside there. That way you can create a precise 32+ point for your snake.

Another one I have read then goes on to put a low powered halogen shining down onto the hot hide to provide warm light for daytime basking

See these:
https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/harpos-spotted-python-enclosure-build.226952/
https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/new-spotted-python-enclosure.227844/#post-2541060
I'll add a few more I have read a fair bit of them, just gonna trawl thru now
[automerge]1625378451[/automerge]
https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/heating.226891/
A bit of design gets mentioned in here
[automerge]1625378805[/automerge]
https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/childrens-python.228175/
This one has a good setup in it (Harpos setup further down)

Anyway enjoy the reading eh
[automerge]1625384169[/automerge]
Oh yeah sorry; on a re-read it looks like people put alfoil down on the timber; then the heat mat; then the tile; then the hide.

So please consider the safety factor first!
Someone with first hand experience is gonna chime in soon I am sure; I am just an informational middle man here

Last edited:
Hi Jo_Harvey
You can safely heat a wooden enclosure successfully with heat cord or heat mats . But common sense and safety is most important.
It isn't hard to make a heat tile or set up underfloor heating with the right equipment and it's not very expensive to buy or run. But any electrical work has to be inspected by a qualified electrition. There is heaps of good info on this site already to help. Good luck.

heat mats are not designed to be used inside wooden enclosures, they are designed to be used under glass enclosures. It is dangerous to use inside enclosures.
You can use heat cables inside, most people rout grooves in the floor and put a tile or flat rock over it.

True, im cheating, the floors in my enclosures are removable 6mm glass panels. But i have 5 or 7 watt heat mats or heat cord inside specialy built compartments between the ceiling and floor of their upstairs hides. These compartments are fully lined with aluminium tape, and they are run through either thermostats or dimmers and they work perfectly. They never get hot enough to start a fire and have been inspected by a sparky just in case. But, safety first !
[automerge]1625393654[/automerge]
Forgot to mention, there's a smoke detector mounted in my ceiling directly above my enclosures too.

Last edited:
True, im cheating, the floors in my enclosures are removable 6mm glass panels. But i have 5 or 7 watt heat mats or heat cord inside specialy built compartments between the ceiling and floor of their upstairs hides. These compartments are fully lined with aluminium tape, and they are run through either thermostats or dimmers and they work perfectly. They never get hot enough to start a fire and have been inspected by a sparky just in case. But, safety first !
[automerge]1625393654[/automerge]
Forgot to mention, there's a smoke detector mounted in my ceiling directly above my enclosures too.
then in all honesty you should not be recomending heat mats to others without full disclosure. Some people will take your recommendations as gospel and possibly cause a fire.

Fair enough, just saying it can be safely done. I did recommend getting it checked by a pro.☺
[automerge]1625411876[/automerge]
Besides, i never actualy recommend anything. I simply stated what works for me. If i did recommend someone go buy a heat cord , and they get hit by a bus on the way to the shop, is it my fault ? Once again, SAFETY FIRST !

Last edited:
For all my Pythons, I use heat mats Inside the enclosures with a wall tile covering it. I have a temp probe directly on the tile and I have never had a problem in 8 years. I believe the type of heat mat is the key, I use the type enclosed in a green waterproof cover, the wood has never even discoloured and my Snakes seem quite healthy and happy. I tend to think the plastic Black ones can be dangerous because the connection to the 240v cable is not sealed and can get wet and burn.

For the first time I designed the enclosure for my Big Jungle Python with 6mm glass removable floor with heat cord under it, unfortunately I have found that the heat cord is working hard to warm the glass to the desired temp but fortunately I also use a Heat Projector on a shelf where he likes to bask. I regularly check the temps with an Infrared Thermometer to keep an eye on the thermostats that I built don't vary too much.

Hi Dustproof
If the runs of heat cord you put under the glass floor are to far apart, it may not get hot enough. I ran mine 3cm apart, no closer. Or you could need a higher wattage cord. I have a similar set up and run a dimmer switch to make fine adjustments. Works perfect for me, and it gets pretty cold here in winter. Hope that is of some use.

Hi Dustproof
If the runs of heat cord you put under the glass floor are to far apart, it may not get hot enough. I ran mine 3cm apart, no closer. Or you could need a higher wattage cord. I have a similar set up and run a dimmer switch to make fine adjustments. Works perfect for me, and it gets pretty cold here in winter. Hope that is of some use.
I will look into making the loops closer, I think your right they could be too far apart. I was being cautious because I had never used them before.

Latest posts

Back