Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raycarpetpython

Reaction score
Hi all, as the title suggests I'm over the moon. I know us newer or less xp'd keepers often worry when our babies go off their food, and I know they can go for ages without it, but my little jungle had not been eating for about a month now and I had had several feeding attempts with no luck.

I tried everything from braining, chicken stock, feeding in the enclosure, out of the enclosure,etc, everything. Until I tried a trick from snake bytes tv on youtube. They use a cup, but I used a small container (probably about the size of a sandwich container but taller). It was small enough for the mouse to basically be in his face but not too small.

So i heated the mouse up, cut a few slits in its face and smeared the mouse around the inside of the container. So basically when i put him in there, he would be able to smell/taste nothing but mouse:). So after that, i put him in there, showed him the mouse, then put the lid on and covered with a towel. Came back not even 5mins later and the mouse had disappeared :D:D. I had also down-sized the food size as suggested by a breeder of 40+ years xp.

Anyway I thought this may be useful to other new keepers suffering from the same feeding troubles as I did and an alternate and effective trick.

Cheers

Thanks mate that is something to store in the memory bank

Going through the same thing at the moment, told to down size the food size so i will give both a try tommorow. Thanks

Have you seen where they also scent with tuna? Have not had to try this myself however its another good one to remember if needed.
Respect,
Steve.

yeah i did see that, although I wasn't going to waste a tin of tuna on a 'maybe'. When it comes time for him to switch to rats, if he has trouble I will probably still smear the mouse scent on the inside of the container to see if that helps. But I'll cross that bridge when i come to it.

Now just feed with out the container ray he should take it straight away. And when it comes to the rat transition just first offer the rat with out it being scented if not interested smear a mouse over the rat and offer then should take it no problems.

Thanks

Thanks so much. We have a little woma that hadn't eaten in 9 weeks, we have tried a variety of food and different feeding techniques, she is only five months old so we were starting to get a little worried.

Tonight we tried this and she ate :)

Last edited:
Great thread! I watch snakebytestv and I haven't seen this video, anyone got a link?

Nevermind, I found it. Really great youtube channel, and brian has been communicating with me. Great guy.

Last edited:
Hello. I'm brand new to snakes. I have a childreni that is 5+ months old. He's not fed for almost 3 weeks and I was worrying a little and wondering what I could do. I'm encouraged by the advice and experience of others - hopefully it will work for us too!

Karen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back